Finale of Earth Rumble Eight

(Aang and his friends walk away from the stadium- though not in any particular direction, for most concerned)

Sokka: ...Toph? You doing okay?

Toph: ...

Aang: ...You did great out there, Toph!

Sokka: Yeah. You made us all proud.

Toph: ...Thanks.

I've been thinking... I guess when everything's said and done... I'm not so opposed to the idea of being mistress of Beifong. Even though I'll have less time to earth bend, I doubt I'll ever get bored. Diplomacy can actually be... fun, if you know what you're doing. I guess what I'm really scared of is having to spend weeks on end... without you.

(Everyone stops, turning to her in surprise)

Toph: Sokka, that day you taught me braille... the day my parents started to see me for what I could be... it was one of the best days of my life. Then, I had to spend years without seeing you, or Aang, or Katara... I...

(Toph begins to tear up)

Toph: I hate admitting this... but I miss the war. I miss being a team. I miss getting so exhausted that I start falling asleep on Appa's saddle, I miss listening to Aang getting excited about becoming an earth bender, I miss telling stories by a campfire, I even miss that time when Zuko burned my feet... just being there... with all of you...

(Toph's breathing patterns become short audible bursts. Sokka lays a hand on her shoulder, and soon everyone converges for a group hug. All except for Zuko)

Zuko: ...If it's any condolence...I think we all miss it too... except for the burning your feet part.

Aang: ...Toph, what do you think I am?

Toph: (Sniffs) An airhead.

Aang: ...Anything else?

Toph: No. That's about it. (Gasps a laugh)

Aang: Well, in case you haven't noticed... I'm the avatar, and it's my duty to bring balance to the world.

Toph: I know. You're busy.

Aang: You don't understand. So long as it's my duty to bring balance to the four nations of the entire world... I need to be able to bring balance to myself. Now, how can I hope to do that... without my family?

(Katara subconsciously hugs tighter)

Aang: I've let you go for too long without being there for you.

Katara: But we're all here, Toph. Every step of the way.

(After a moment, Toph calms down enough to continue)

Aang: Toph... I've been meaning to ask...

Toph: Hmm?

Aang: This will probably sound like a dumb question, but... why didn't you warn me about being dragged into the earth rumble?

Toph: Dragging you in wasn't my idea.

Aang: Then who's was it?

Sokka: (Satisfied with himself) It was mine!

Aang: What?

Sokka: Well, sort of. See, I was chatting with Dau Jin, and he wanted some kind of epic prelude for Toph's fight with the earth king-

Aang: Ex earth king.

Sokka: So tonight I told him to put your name in!

Aang: ...Then why didn't you warn me about being dragged into the fight?

Sokka: I wanted to see the look on your face when the spotlight hit. Priceless!

Aang: Yeah. Sorry if it wasn't all that interesting.

Sokka: Oh, I'd say the anticlimax was worth it.

Suki: ...It was.

(Everyone looks at her)

Suki: What? The way his eyes bugged out was hilarious!

Ty Lee: You're right, Suki! It was! Here I thought you lost your sense of humor!

Suki: Excuse me?

Ty Lee: Don't take it personally! You've spent so long with that mask on that I sometimes mistake you for a statue! (Knocks playfully on Suki's mask)

Zuko: I will agree that Sokka's addition was pretty funny.

Sokka: Thanks, Vol Cano!

Zuko: You're welcome, guy who's other shoulder is on fire.

Sokka: (Glances at other shoulder) ...Aw, come on!

Katara: (Splashes him with water)

Sokka: (Spits out water) THERE'S NO NEED TO KEEP SPLASHING MY FACE, WOMAN!

Katara: Like your "fake water bending" could've done a better job?

Sokka: YES! IT COULD'VE! THAT'S THE POINT!

Toph: The only point I'm seeing is that Katara saved your shirt. Twice.

Sokka: Look, I've got dark splotches on my perfectly good shirt, and now I'm drenched.

Toph: You know I would look, Sokka, but here's the thing.

Aang: (Groans) for the last time, enough with the blind jokes.

Toph: Aang, they're all I've got!

Katara: I'll take blind jokes over Sokka's earth bending puns.

Sokka: Why? My puns are rock solid.

Toph: Eh, I'd say you're off to a... rocky start.

Sokka: Goodness, Toph, you're stone cold!

Toph: Not my fault for being blunt.

Sokka: ...Okay, now you're just cheating.

Zuko: You guys are some of the weirdest people I've ever met.

Katara: But we're not your sister.

Zuko: That's fair, I guess.