Ch 3: Retail therapy

As the day began to slip by, Wren and I decided to spend the rest of the Saturday shopping-- retail therapy, as we liked to call it. We headed straight towards the Starbucks line and ordered our usual iced coffees, waiting by the counter for our names to be called out. As we scanned the food court for a place to sit, I saw a guy sitting at a table near us surrounded by girls. Oh shit.

"Isn't that Cassie's group of friends?" Wren cautiously asked.
I groaned and nodded, wanting to instantly cower in fear.

"So, are you here with Tyler? You guys are always together right? Being best friends and all" Ava, Cassie's best friend asked the guy.

"Wait is that Noah?" Wren whispered to me.
"Noah?"
"Yeah, he's in our English class and your Calculus class! I'm surprised you never noticed him, he's cute." Wren replied.
"Wait how do you know he's in my Calc class?" I asked while giving her a questioning look.
She pointed to herself and said, "office aid, bitch."

We laughed as our drinks came out, walking to the only free table, conveniently right behind Cassie's friends. Oh joy. I felt the group whisper and eye us as we headed towards them. I wasn't scared of them confronting me; I knew they'd never say anything to my face-- it was their whispers and stares that made me uneasy. Wren and I stayed silent so we could eavesdrop on their quiet conversation.

"Isn't that the girl that went out with Blake last night?"
"Ew yeah, I heard she wore a real skanky dress too-- although, it didn't help with her case at all, Blake stopped by Cassie's house last night apologizing with a huge grand gesture."

"The black one?" Wren asked, "I love that one!" She defended.
"I know, me too!" I said begrudgingly.

The group continued talking, the conversation bouncing from the five girls.
"Aww that's so sweet, urgh I love them together; she deserves a sweet guy like him. I don't know who this girl thinks she is, but everyone knows that nothing can come between Blake and Cassie."

Wren and I blanched at the "sweet guy" bit.

"Yeahh, wait isn't she also the girl who Tate went out with before he went back to Harper?"

My heart ached when she mentioned one of my past dates with Tate.

"Idk, I wouldn't be surprised though, she seems like she gets around."

I gritted my teeth, and took a deep breath while Wren looked murderous, looking like she wanted to punch all of them.

The group of friends continued to passively bash me, now moving on to the fact that me and Wren were drinking Starbucks.
"I mean, how basic can you get? She's literally the definition of a bland basic white girl with no personality. The only reason people like her is for her looks!"

Wren was about to stand up and call them out but someone else beat her to it.

Wren and I were so focused on the girls conversation that we almost forgot he was there too.
"Aren't you guys being a little too harsh on her? What about girl power and shit, shouldn't you guys be supporting each other and not hating?" Noah whispered.
"Aw Noah, you're adorable. Literally everyone bashes the side hoe, it's a known thing-- and Aubrey Taylor, in this case, is the side chick." Remy explained.
"Yeah, we're all for girl power and stuff, it's just that Cassie was really hurt that Blake went out with some gorgeous girl and anyone who hurts our friend is bound to get some heat." Ava explained.

Noah looked hesitant, slowly nodding while looking away from their group. He looked relieved when someone else came to the table.

"Hi Tyler" the girls shyly giggled.
"We were just talking with Noah, do you want to join?"
Noah looked defeated, realizing that they were just talking to him to get closer with Tyler.

"Actually," Noah said, "I was about to leave."
"Okay, bye! We'll just hang with Tyler then" Remy quickly said.
"Noah and I came together so I'm going too, sorry guys" Tyler gave an apologetic smile.

The roar of protest was almost laughable.

As Noah and Tyler left, Noah glanced back at us and gave me a nod, smiling at Wren.
"What was that?" Wren asked
"It looks like someone has the hots for Wrenny Poo!!" I teased.
She rolled her eyes as she got up. "We both know that's not true, he barely talks to me. Now come on, I'm not liking the vibes in here," she said as she eyed Cassie's friends distastefully.