Chapter 1

(Flashback: Before the Destruction of the Hidden Sand Village; Age: 5-6)

The hot, burning sun beat down on the Village Hidden in the Sand. Temperatures were always high, but I didn't mind it. I sat under a shady tree with my best friend, Temari Senpai. It almost felt like yesterday that I met Temari Senpai, since I've known her for so long. We've always done everything together: eat, relax, laugh, you name it. But when something happened to the Hidden Sand Village, my life was impacted forever.

Temari Senpai and I were relaxing under a shady tree. She was fanning herself, trying to keep cool from the heat wave.

"Nice day, right (Y/N)?" Temari Senpai asked while looking at me.

"Y-yeah, Temari-sama..." I said.

She laughed at me. "You don't have to say "sama" after my name, (Y/N). I told you this a hundred times."

I looked down and felt my cheeks heat up. "Sorry, Temari-sama..."

She put a hand on my shoulder. "I was kidding, (Y/N). We're friends, and that's your nickname for me. I'll reply to any nickname you give me."

I looked at Temari Senpai and smiled. "Thank you, Temari-sama..."

Temari Senpai smiled at me. "You're welcome, (Y/N). C'mon, let's go back to my place for dinner."

She got up from the ground and offered her hand to me. I took her hand and she helped me up. We started to walk to her house for dinner.

While walking to Temari Senpai's house, I asked her questions about her family since she never once spoke about them. She said she has two younger brothers, Kankuro (one year younger than Temari Senpai) and Gaara (around my age). Kankuro likes to make puppets, wears face paint, and is inappropriate sometimes. Gaara was "a mystery" as Temari Senpai described him. He has dark red hair, uses tan sand for defense and offense, and has a tattoo on his forehead that says "love". I began to wonder why Temari Senpai called Gaara a mystery... Was Temari Senpai hiding something from me?

We finally reached Temari Senpai's house. Kankuro was showing Gaara a new puppet of some sort in the front yard.

"Hey guys," Temari Senpai said.

Both boys looked at her. "Hey, Temari," Kankuro said. "And hello cutie."

I blushed slightly. "Who? Me?"

"Yeah, you. Hey, Temari, who's the cutie?"

"Oh!" Temari Senpai put her arm around me. "This is my friend, (Y/N). (Y/N), this is Kankuro and Gaara."

"H-hi..." I looked away from them in nervousness.

"(Y/N)..." Gaara said. "You're Temari's...friend?"

I looked at Gaara, face still flushed. "Yeah, I'm Temari-sama's friend."

"Will you be my friend too?"

My mind wondered. Why would Gaara ask such a question? Did he not have any friends? Does his siblings take all of his friends away from him? A million questions ran through my head.

"Of course, Gaara," I said. "I'll be your friend."

I noticed that Temari Senpai and Kankuro exchanged glances. What exactly is going on?

********

I was sound asleep, dreaming of becoming a Shinobi.

Suddenly, I felt something shake me.

"(Y/N), wake up!"

I opened my eyes, only to find my mother, shaking in fear.

"Mom?" I say while rubbing my eyes from drowsiness.

"C'mon, honey," My mother says. "Let's go. I don't have time to explain, but we need to get out of the house."

I got out of bed and took my mother's hand. We exited the house, only to find the Hidden Sand Village in total chaos. Buildings were torn apart, villagers running for their lives, and high pitched screams filled the village. Earlier today, the village was at peace, and nothing was wrong. What made the village end up like this?

Then, I saw my answer. As I looked up to where the Kazekage building was, I saw Gaara, covering his face in his hands and a tan-looking tail thingy was moving back and forth, wrecking everything in its path. I was mesmerized. Is that why Temari Senpai called Gaara a mystery? Because something (of some sort) was inside of him?

I was so distracted by Gaara that I didn't realize that my mother was taking me out of the village.

"Mom? Why are we leaving?" I asked.

"We're getting away from anything that can harm my family." My mother replied.

That wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but I didn't ask anything else after that.

Due to Gaara destroying the Hidden Sand Village, my mother and I moved to the closest village, which was the Village Hidden in the Leaves. We lived a whole new life there, like nothing ever happened. I attended the Leaf Academy for school, and made a few friends, but none of them were Temari Senpai, Kankuro, or Gaara. My life had changed completely.