Chapter 22

"Y/N...?"

Gaara's voice brought me back to reality. He brought his hand up to my cheek and wiped away a tear that I didn't know was there.

"S-sorry..." I managed to get out as more tears fall down my face.

He looks deep into my now puffy eyes. "It's okay... You're with me now. You have nothing to fear."

He's right. He's always been by my side, even when we were apart all that time ago. He's helped me through thick and thin, always pushing me forward. He's done so much for me, and I don't think a simple 'thank you' is enough.

I put my hand on top of Gaara's. "I know."

He brought his lips to mine. Just by his kiss, it tells me that I'm his and his alone.

"Are you... tired?" Gaara asks as he pulls away.

"Yeah, a bit," I respond.

"Do you... want to go to sleep?"

I nod and say nothing else as I get off of Gaara. I get under the soft sheets and lie down in bed. Gaara followed soon after. He puts his arms gently around me and I put my head to his warm chest. I could feel my face warm up as I hear his steady heartbeat.

"Do you... hear it?" Gaara whispers, a little embarrassment detected in his voice.

"Yeah." I say.

He pulls me closer and I could hear his heartbeat quicken. He's probably not used to sleeping together since he usually stays up all night filling out documents.

"I... like it that I can sleep with you." He kisses my head.

"Me too." I say as I feel my own heart race a thousand miles.

And with that, I slowly close my eyes and fall asleep. I began to have my own dreams, not any of that fake nonsense from the Infinite Tsukuyomi...