Chapter 3

(Flashback: Chunin Exams - Preliminaries; Age: 13)

Transferring over to the Hidden Leaf Village changed my life drastically. I graduated from the Leaf Academy, and got a Leaf forehead protector (instead of a Sand one like I really wanted). I got assigned to a four man squad, with Kakashi Sensei, and my teammates: Sakura Haruno, Sasuke Uchiha, and Naruto Uzumaki (the Hidden Leaf's Jinchuuriki). We went on numerous missions together, and I developed a tiny crush on Sasuke, but in reality, I knew that I was out of his league.

One day, Kakashi Sensei tells us about the upcoming Chunin Exams, where ninja from different villages test their abilities for the title "Chunin", which was one of the highest ninja titles. Of course, Naruto becomes excited about becoming Chunin. Sasuke just shrugs his shoulders and Sakura will go anywhere Sasuke is going. I, on the other hand, was very hesitant.

"Something troubling you, (Y/N)?" Kakashi Sensei asks me. He probably noticed me hesitating.

"N-no, Sensei. I'm fine." I say, attempting a fake smile.

Kakashi Sensei smiled and continued to tell us how we might even clash with a close friend or another village member. My heart pounds against my chest, like it's a tiny bird wanting to escape its cage. Will I encounter Temari, Kankuro, or Gaara during the Chunin Exams? My mind wonders, trying to think about what will happen in the near future.

********

The Chunin Exams have been hectic, considering the fact that it has three parts: a handwritten test, a seek-and-find for scrolls in the Forest of Death, and the preliminaries (individual battles to determine who will advance to the actual third part of the Exams). During the Exams, Naruto passed the first part with a blank paper, and Sasuke got bitten by a weird snake-looking man. Even though Sakura wanted Sasuke to see a healer, Sasuke didn't want to get looked at. I knew Sasuke got hurt, but I just kept my mouth shut. I didn't want to face the wrath of the lone survivor of the Uchiha clan.

Preliminary rounds were coming and going. Each time my name wasn't called, my heart beats louder and louder. Cold chills ran down my spine while I thought of who I'll be up against. I know it wasn't Temari or Kankuro due to them winning their rounds previously. All that's left is Gaara, who has his arms crossed over his chest like he's in defense mode or something. And what's with that giant gourd on his back? Only he would know what's inside that thing.

My heart drops to my stomach when I saw the next matchup.

Y/N Y/L/N
VS.
GAARA

Gaara was already on the ground floor, tan sand surrounding him. "Hurry up and get down here."

I make my way to the ground floor, where I stand a few meters away from Gaara. Never in my wildest dreams have I wanted to see Gaara this way. A hot tear falls from my face as I remember when I used to live in the Hidden Sand Village, when I was happy.

Gaara kept staring at me. What could he be thinking about? Could he be remembering the past too?

My thoughts were interrupted when the examiner told us to begin. Without thinking, I threw a kunai at Gaara, but his sand blocked it. How am I supposed to win when all he does is defend himself?

"Sand Coffin."

I spoke to soon. Tan sand rapidly came towards me. Out of fear, I stayed still. Will this be the end of me?

"Gaara, stop!"

I looked up and saw Temari leaning on a railing. She had a worried expression on her face.

"Sand Burial."

Gaara completely ignored her and let sand devour the left half of my body. He opened his hand, then closed it. I whimpered in pain. The sand felt like it was squeezing my insides together.

Due to the pain that the sand was giving me, I lost my balance, landing on my knees.

"Please, Gaara!" I beg. "I can't take anymore!"

Gaara's sand released its death grip on me. I fell on my face due to more loss of balance and weakness. The last thing I saw was Gaara staring at me before the world around me faded to complete darkness.