Chapter Twenty. Thanksgiving Part One

Not So Bad After All
Book One
Chapter Twenty
Thanksgiving, Part One
-Picture Of Jason-
Rose's Pov
___________________

"Rose baby, please go wait outside for your brother," My mom told me.

I chuckled knowing that was coming. "Why? That dummy knows where the house is."

I'm in her way. My Mom never liked a lot of people in her kitchen when she's cooking. If any of us got in her way, we were getting with a wooden spoon or her she would chuck her slipper at us and it never matter how fast you ran, she always hit her target.

"Cause you're in my way. Go wait for your brother or your not eating tonight. You get me?"

I got up from the stool at the island and mocked my mom's accent under my breath as I headed to the front door. "You get me?"

"I heard that!" She pointed her wooden spoon at me warningly.

I smiled innocently, "Love you."

She mumbled an 'mhm' and I left before she could throw that spoon at me.

I hugged my sweater tightly around my body as I sat down on the first step of the porch. For the middle of November in Washington, it was pretty nice outside.

I haven't sat outside in a while. It feels good to just sit here and do nothing. I thought to myself.

I noticed Jayden's car pulling into his driveway and I was a bit confused as to why because Mom told me they had all left this morning. I watched as he got out of his car dressed in a black bomber jacket with a gray hoodie underneath it. His left hand was stuffed in the front pocket of his dark jeans and the other was swinging his keys around carelessly.

"Your gonna lose your keys, you keep swinging them like that," I teased.

He stopped in his tracks and smirked at me. A smirk that has been aimed at me a lot lately.  It was a beautiful smirk and that sounds so weird coming from me.

"I made copies," He assured me as he approached me. "What're you doing out here? it's cold."

I shrugged, "My mom sent me out here to wait for Jason but really she just wanted me out of her way."

"She's cooking huh? I can smell it from out here," He chuckled.

"Yeah, my mom doesn't play when it comes to holiday dinners. She's been cooking since last night and she is still not done," I smiled.

"Got a favorite?"

"Probably the strawberry cheesecake that Jason and I make every year. It's kind of a tradition, ya know?"

"I can't picture Jason in the kitchen, cooking."

"He usually just makes a mess and I clean it up. It has its perks though, I guess..." I shrugged, "How bout you?"

"What?"

"Do you have a favorite?"

He looked away from me with a faded smirk. "I uh... My family... I don't celebrate Thanksgiving or any holiday for that matter."

That literally broke my heart! How could they not celebrate holidays? Or do they just not include Jayden? Something tells me that that's why his parents are gone and left him behind. My heart ached for him. I can't even imagine having a family like Jayden's.

"Why?"

He shrugged, "Not into it."

He tried to seem unaffected, like not being with his family means absolutely nothing to him, but I knew for a fact that it was all an act.