Chapter 6

Kate's p.o.v.
  This horse! Oh my word! He just jumped the fence. AGAIN!
    I was riding Ozzy out to go get him back. My lasso was on my saddle and I was ready.
    As I came up over a little hill, I saw his buckskin hide, and than saw him grazing.  
    I was just taking my lasso off when I heard a whoosh, and than someone blew past me on a bay horse. Of course, Firefly, the buckskin took of running.
    The rider followed after, swinging his lasso above his head. He let go and the rope flew over Firefly's head. The rider slowed down enough to turn around.
    That's when I saw his face.
    Hunter. Of course. But I didn't know he could ride.
   He trotted up, with Firefly in tow. He handed me the rope.
   "Hunter. I can do it by myself." I spit the words out.
   "I know." He said with his cute drawl. "But I wanted to help. My momma raised me right." And with that, he rode off. Back to the barn I'd presume.
     Gosh, guys annoy me. Always pushing girls around, thinking they own everything. Well, they dont.
     It was a little flattering though. I wasn't much used to people putting me first. My dad tried, but my mother's death really tore him up.
     She was a secret drug addict. My dad knew, and he tried to get her to stop, but she just wouldn't. The drugs, and the parties were more important to her than her own family. My dad had come home from work, when he found her dead on the couch. She had overdosed. I was at a sleepover.
    Once in a while, I'd still hear him cry himself to sleep. He never showed it the next morning, though.
    I rode up to the barn and got off leading Firefly to his stall.  
    I had a few chores to do, so I untacked Ozzy, and just let her follow me around. And she did too. Like a little puppy.
    "Aww, now that's funny!" Hunter said as he walked over to me. He grabbed the pitchfork out of my hand and started walking in toward the stalls.
    Oh no. Not again. I jogged after him, and kicked him in the back of the knee. On his way down, I wrapped my arm around his neck and squeezed.
   "Give. Me. The pitchfork." I growled in his ear. He was a good six foot, so just reaching his ear wasn't necessarily easy.
    At that moment, my dad walked past us. "Drop him, Kate." He picked up the pitchfork that Hunter had let go of.
    I "dropped him," took the pitchfork out of dad's outstretched hand, and stalked off.

Hunter's p.o.v.
     Ow. I rubbed my neck where she had put me in a sleeper.
     "Never take something from her, son." Her dad said, as he walked away.
     "But, the stalls are my job!" I said, and ran after him.
     "Only when she doesn't already have the pitchfork in her hand. Guess I shoulda told you."
     I stood gaping after him.
      So it was just completely normal for him to walk in on his daughter putting their new stable hand in a sleeper hold?
     She did it faster than most guys I knew, and actually, I was pretty impressed.
     What can't she do?

A/N: I did it! I updated! I don't think it stinks horribly? Please comment what you think, and I'll do my best to get another update out soon! I love you guys!!!