Chapter 10

Hunter's p.o.v.

         I was opening the door of the truck for Kate, when she stopped
       "What?" I asked.
      "Um, we are both covered in mud, and if we get it in dad's truck, he will probably not hesitate to kill us." she said.
       "Well, won't he understand if we tell him that we had to take a detour and got stuck in the mud? It happens. In fact, it's probably happened to him."
       "Maybe." She said as she climbed in. I walked around to the other side and got in. Once I had started the truck, the song "Flat liner" came on.
      "Dude! I love this song!" Kate reached forward and turned the dial up a few notches, her dad completely forgotten. I couldn't help but watch her as I started driving ahead. Just little things, like, how she danced in her  seat, or waved her hand out the window. The setting sun shine on her hair, making it glow. When she listened to music, it was as if all of her problems went away. I had only known her for about 4 days, but I already knew that she was guarded from something. An ex meybe?
       The next song that came on was one I didn't really recognize. I looked at the screen on the dash and it read: "Mama's song". Kate lunged forward, slammed the off button, and went back to staring out the window.
     "Woah. Careful. Don't break the truck." I glanced over at her.
      "Sorry." She said in a small voice. I couldn't see her eyes, but it sounded like she was going to cry.
       "Hey, what's wrong? Did I say something?"
        "No. I'm fine. Nothing is wrong." She said it quietly, almost as if she was trying to tell herself, not just me.
        I decided that I didn't want to pry.
        We went the rest of the ride in silence.
        When we pulled in to the driveway, she jumped right out and ran inside.
      A few minutes later, as I was unrolling the hose to wash the truck off, her dad came out, making a beeline for me.
     "What did you​ say to her?" He stopped right in front of me.
     "What? I didn't say anything. I swear!"
    "Than why did she just run into the house crying?"
    "I honestly don't know. A song came on and she didn't even listen. She turned it off right away."
    Her dad leaned back on his heels, his face a little less angry. "What song?"
     "Uh, "Mama's song"." I replied.
      He completely backed off. Scratching the back of his neck he said, "I thought she was ok. I'm sorry for blaming you. Keep doing what you're doing. I'm going to go talk to her."
       So she wasn't fine. She told me she was fine. Why wasn't she fine?
      I drug the hose over to the truck and turned it on. I sprayed it at the caked on mud, and it was oddly satisfying, watching the mud melt away.
     I started getting lost in my thoughts. That wasnt helping though, because they were filled with her eyes. Now even the mud on the truck reminded me of her.
      Just then I heard the screen door slam. She walked out, completely fine, no tears in her eyes, nothing.
     "Hey, thanks for washing the truck for me. Dad understands why we got it muddy, and he's okay with it." She walked over and leaned on the opposite side of the truck. "Dad also asked me to see if you wanted to stay for dinner again?"
     "If I keep staying for dinner I'm gonna get fat. Your sister cooks really well."
     "I know, doesnt she? Well, make up your mind. I'm gonna go for a ride." And with that, she took off again.
    I watched her for a few minutes as she went out and got her horse. I still didn't know what her horse's name was.

Kate's p.o.v.
      I saddled up Ozzy as quickly as I could. I had trained her so I didn't even have to tie her up, and she knew way better than to be cinchy, or walk away.
      I had rescued Ozzy from some guy who had no clue how to take care of her. She had crazy trust issues and she was so beaten up, I couldn't get near her at first. After a while, we bonded and she now trusts me completely. She still has some problems with other people, but we are working through that. I had even made it to state with her in barrels and western showmanship.
     I shook my head, grinned, and led her outside.
     I stole a quick glance toward where I had last seen Hunter washing the truck. There he was, right where I left him.
     I mentally slapped myself and mounted Ozzy. We started walking.
      I had instantly regretted turning the radio off the way I had in the car. I hadn't wanted Hunter to see me cry, but instead, I'm sure I left him with more questions.
     I had heard the first few chords to "Mama's song" and right away, my mind filled with memories of her. I hadn't understood why she left, until my dad explained it a few years later. I had known that she had died, and of course, I was devestated, but once I figured out how she died, the devestation had faded, but the anger set in....
      I shook my head and clicked Ozzy into a gallop. I leaned forward and felt her mane slap against my face. Ozzy loved to run now. Especially with me. When I let her, she just exploded with energy and took off.
      Before I got her, she only ran when she was running away from her owner. Now, she could be a racehorse. At least, that's what she wanted you to believe.
      Suddenly, my phone started ringing. I groaned and leaned back, slowing Ozzy down to a walk.
     I reached into the phone holder that was resting on my belt.
     "Hello?"
     "Hey kid. There's someone here asking for you. She's got a horse trailer."
     "Aw man. I completely forgot. Yeah, there was someone coming for help with her horse. Can you tell her I'll be right there?"
     "Sure kid. See ya."
     I hung up the phone and turned Ozzy around. I clicked at her and she took off running.
     Why couldn't I ever  have a nice, calming ride?

A/N: I updated!!!!! Omgosh! It's been forever! How are you guys? I'm sooooooo sooooooo sooooooo so sorry it's taken me this long. I have been super busy, running on approximately 6 hours of sleep an night for about a year. Don't do that guys! School just ended, so... I should hopefully be updating a whole lot more. We'll see. I love you guys. Please leave likes and comments! Thanks so much! Enjoy!