Chapter 35

Kate's p.o.v.

        The light behind my eyelids was almost blinding. It was extremely bright, white, and luminescent. 

        It sort of felt like my eyelids were sewn shut. It took so much work just to try and open them. They were heavy with what felt like sleep, although I didn't remember falling asleep. In all reality, I didn't really want to wake up. The sleep was so comfortable, like there was nothing to worry about. 

         And then I remembered. Everything came spinning back to me. Boomerang running through the woods, out of control. Seeing the frozen pond. Going down and hitting the ice. 

       That thought shoved any comfort completely out of my mind and I bolted upright. 

       The light was still blinding, and I couldn't see anything, but I felt everything.  My right leg was throbbing with pain, and I thought there were little elves inside my head pounding on my skull with mini ice picks. 

     "Hey, hey, hey." Someone was grabbing my shoulders, trying to push me back on the bed. I didn't know who it was and I fought them, wanting to stay upright.

     I still couldn't see anything, although the light had dimmed, and now it was just a black expanse before my eyes. 

      "Kate, calm down," the person said. I recognized the voice.

      "Dad?" 

      "Yeah, Kid. It's me. Just lay down." 

      Reluctantly, I sank back against the bed. "Dad, I can't see." 

      "I know. The doctor said this would happen. Your sight should come back." He had never sugar coated his words before, so I knew that something was seriously wrong.

      "Should? Should, Dad?" 

      "Just calm down and I'll explain everything." He tried removing his hands, but I reached out and grabbed them, terrified that if he stopped touching me, he would disappear. I knew I was holding too tight, but I was so terrified. I hated not being able to see. I felt so vulnerable. 

     Dad sighed as he set himself back into the chair, still holding my hand. I knew that he was on my left side, so I knew that I should look that way, but I didn't know exactly where he was. 

      "So, how much do you remember?" 

       I thought for a moment, which only made the pounding in my head harder. "Um, I remember Boomerang getting spooked and bolting through th- BOOMERANG!" I almost yelled her name, and shot up again. "Dad!?! Where's Boomerang!?" 

       "Ya know what? If you don't calm yourself and lay back down, I'm not telling you nothin'."

       My leg was still throbbing, but I flopped back down and crossed my arms, acting like a petty toddler. Or, even better, Chase and Hunter.

       "Okay. That's better. Boomerang is fine. She just had a little cut on her leg from the trees. Now what else do you remember?" 

       I thought about it again. Everything was a little fuzzy. "Boomerang bolted through the woods and I remember thinking about the pond and taking my feet out for an emergency dismount but my right foot was stuck and I couldn't get it out and I remember Boomerang slipping and falling on top of me." My words came out jumbled, and I didn't stop to take a breath until the end. "It's really annoying not seeing your face." 

      I heard a knock, and the door clicked open. I felt Dad's hand stiffen slightly. "I'll let him tell you what happened." 

      My brows furrowed in confusion. I wished I could see who walked in. I also really hoped it wasn't a doctor.