Chapter 42

"What do you mean, he's in trouble?" My heart started beating frantically, and I didn't really know how to react. What kind of trouble? Where was he? 

            "I'll explain everything in the truck. We have to go." He turned to my dad, who was standing by with a concerned look on his face. "I'm sorry, Mr. Leeson. I'll have her home as soon as possible." Then he turned and looked at his parents, as Hannah wrapped her arms around my waist. "I'll see guys at home." He knelt down in front of his sister and pried her away from me. 

              He folded her in his arms and said, "I love you, little one."

               He was acting really strange, kind of like he would never see her again. 

              I was still confused, and all I really wanted to do was go find a bed- or a couch, or even an empty part of the floor- and fall asleep. 

              Hunter stood and grabbed my hand. He led me through the crowded gymnasium and out into the chilly night air. His truck was in it's usual spot, and he broke into a jog when we came within view. 

               I drummed my fingers against the door as he started the engine and pulled out of the parking lot. He seemed to be completely focused on driving, so I had to ask him what was going on.

               He sighed and shifted in his seat, making it easier for him to glance at me and still see the road. "Before the actual ceremony, I noticed that Chase was gone. I didn't really think anything of it, because he seems to be late or absent a lot. But then he didn't show up at all, and neither did Delilah, and I started to get a little suspicious. I don't really know why that would make me suspicious, but I know you care about him, and I knew you would be worried." 

                Cue the sound of my melting heart.

                "Anyways, I was walking past the guys' locker room, and I heard someone on the phone. They mentioned Chase, and I soon realized that they were talking to Delilah. They guy said something about a drug trade, and Chase being the supplier, and something about basically throwing him under the bus. I didn't stay longer, but I'm not stupid, and that sounded dangerous."

                My head was pounding, and there were about a billion thoughts and images bouncing around up there. I was picturing all those cop shows where the main characters jump in, just in time to save the day from a drug trade going horribly wrong. 

                 "Okay, wait. Do you even know where you're going?" 

                  He hesitated, grimacing as he turned a corner. "Sort of. They said something about an old warehouse on 5th and Main." 

                   I let out a big sigh and dropped my head back against the seat. God, I prayed. Please keep us safe.

                   Hunter's hands were gripping the steering wheel so hard his knuckles were turning white. 

                    Traffic was extremely light for a Friday evening, and it took us no time at all to get to the warehouse. Graffiti was sprayed all over every side of it, and I realized that we had ventured into the downtown area, which happened to be nearly, sort of, kinda as bad as Chicago as far as drug and alcohol abuse went. 

                     There were no cars outside, and everything was completely still and silent. Even the moon and stars had gone into hiding. 

                      Hunter parked a few blocks away, but still within view. He cut the engine and turned off the lights. We sat quietly in the darkness.