Chapter Three

"Good friends are like stars.... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there."

~ Anonymous

Chapter Three

Kellan sat on the branch of a tree. It was midnight and he knew that Alistair was very irate with him at the moment. He sighed and stared at the full moon. He couldn't talk with her. It would break the walls he had unconsciously built and although he hadn't meant to make them, he couldn't take them down. They had kept him focused for so long. He hadn't worried at all about anyone else's feelings since they were created. He only worried about himself. It sounded selfish, but it allowed him to be successful.

"Are you okay, Parker?" Salem jumped to a thick branch above Kellan. "You don't usually come out during this phase."

"I'm fine." Kellan kept his eyes fixed on the moon.

"Oh, I almost forgot. You don't show your feelings." Salem jumped down to the branch that Kellan was on.

Kellan looked at the boy. He had somewhat long black hair and dark green eyes, but they didn't even compare to Alistair's. He was visibly strong and very intimidating. "Do you want something?"

"So I hear you tracked down the last basic immortal. It's a girl, right?" Salem grinned, his white teeth gleaming in the moonlight, fangs visible under the moonlight.

Kellan nodded, "Her name is Alistair."

"Yeah, that's right. Heath was telling me about her. Do you know what she can do yet?" Salem's eyes widened curiously.

"No, she hasn't even really begun her training. She just agreed to enroll into the Academy today." Kellan answered.

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow at Kellan.

Kellan just nodded and looked back at the moon. "She's pretty ticked off at me right now."

"Why?" Salem looked down at the ground.

"I said something she didn't like." Kellan shrugged.

"I think... I think she's here." Salem was still staring at the ground and Alistair had just walked into his line of sight. "I'm gonna talk to her." Salem jumped down from the tree and landed behind Alistair.

She jumped and spun around. "Who are you?" She shrieked.

"My name's Salem. You're Alistair, the basic immortal everybody's been talking about, right?" He smiled at her.

"Yeah, I guess." Alistair inched back a little. Someone else jumped down behind Ali and she jumped again. "Ugh, it's you." She scowled at Kellan.

"You still upset about... Well, I don't really know what you're upset about." Kellan shook his head.

Alistair glared at him and turned to Salem. "Do you know him?"

Salem nodded, "I guess you could call us friends."

Kellan just shrugged and looked up at the sky.

"I bet it's hard to be friends with someone who is more of a statue than a person." Alistair looked into Salem's dark green eyes.

Salem laughed and the sound echoed throughout Alistair's body. She took a step back and looked over the boy. "Yeah, just a little. But I know how to deal with him." Salem punched Kellan in the arm playfully.

Kellan grabbed his arm and glared at Salem, "That hurt." Kellan growled.

"Just making sure you still had physical feeling." Salem grinned. He looked at Alistair. "So what were you doing out here anyway?"