Chapter Four

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

~ Ernest Hemingway

Chapter Four

"Ooh, this would look so good on you." Whitney held up a bright blue cocktail dress.

"Why would I need a dress like this?" Alistair frowned. She hadn't worn a cocktail dress since her senior prom.

"Sometimes the Academy hosts Grand Balls where all the training schools come together to just meet new students and make sure each school gets along. We're all fighting for the same thing, so we can't fight each other." Whitney shrugged.

"You don't seem like the type to actually want to fight. Are you?" Ali asked.

"I love fighting. It's exhilarating and I'm good at it. But that doesn't mean I can't dress well." She lifted the dress again. "Speaking of dresses, do you want this?"

"Sure, but that's all I want. I think I've got enough clothes." Ali picked up the shopping bags that they'd collected and let Whitney pay for the others.

When they got back to the Academy, Winston was sitting in the lobby as if he were waiting for someone. "Alistair," he rose to his feet.

Alistair frowned and turned to face him, "Sir?"

"Kellan and Salem tell me that you have... interesting abilities. Your strength and reaction time are impeccable. They think you are completely ready for the top class." Winston took a step toward her. "How do you feel about that?"

"Um, I guess that's okay if they think I can handle it. I trust them." Ali nodded.

"Hmm, okay, tomorrow you can join Salem and Kellan in their class and we can evaluate your performance. If you're good, you can stay. If not, we'll try a different class." Winston replied.

Whitney frowned, "She just got here and you're already moving her to the top? Is that normal?"

Winston's eye fell on the other girl. He didn't immediately recognize her, but he acknowledged her anyway. "No, it isn't normal, but I don't believe Alistair is a normal girl." He looked back to Ali. "Also, if you're interested in knowing who your immortal parents were, Kellan has a theory that he would like to test out, but he needs your approval. You should speak with him."

"Okay," Alistair nodded. "I just need to put these things away." She hurried up the stairs and Whitney followed behind her after a few seconds.

Ali dropped the bags on her bed and turned to face Whitney. "I'm gonna go talk to Kellan about my parents." She smiled. "Just put the bags anywhere."

"Good luck." Whitney smiled and set the bags on the floor by Ali's closet and walked away.

•••

Alistair found Kellan in the courtyard with Salem. They were playing with cards on a small round table.

"Hey, Kellan," Ali smiled.

Kellan looked up at Alistair. "Have you talked to Winston yet?"

"Yes, he said you might know who my parents are." Alistair hurried to the point.

"Yes, but we have to go somewhere to make sure." Kellan replied. He laid his cards on the table, face-up, "Game over, Salem."

"Okay, let's go." Alistair said excitedly.

•••

"What is this place?" Ali looked around at the burned building. It looked so sad and imperfect. "And what happened to it?"