Chapter Fourteen

"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."

~ Joseph Campbell

Chapter Fourteen

Alistair opened her eyes and the sky was still navy blue and littered with stars. She heard a noise below her and looked down in alarm. A silver haired wolf stood below her. "Zayne?" She whispered.

She climbed down the tree and approached the wolf slowly. Its silver hair gleamed in the moonlight, shining like silk wherever the light touched it. It was definitely Zayne. The fur was just like his hair. She smiled and ran her fingers through his it. It felt soft and silky under her fingers and she smiled.

Suddenly, Zayne shifted back into human form. Alistair gasped and quickly closed her eyes. Zayne looked at her strangely. "Alistair, what are you doing?" Zayne asked her.

"I'm giving you privacy." Alistair answered.

"Why do I need privacy right now?" Zayne asked with a smile.

Alistair pulled her hands down and looked at him. He was wearing the suit that everyone who went to war was required to wear. "I thought werewolves had to..."

"No, my clothes are special. Just like this suit. They all shift with me. It's really helpful." Zayne smiled.

"Oh," Alistair blushed and smiled. "I've never seen you in wolf form."

"Well, now you have." Zayne grinned and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Your hair is absolutely beautiful." She rose up on the tip of her toes and ruffled it. He put his hands on her waist and held her there.

"Why are you up this late anyway?" Zayne asked her.

Alistair's hands fell to his shoulders. "We're leaving at dawn. I just woke up a few hours earlier than I should've."

"Well, I'm going to get a bit more rest then. Don't work yourself too hard, Alistair." He smiled and kissed her cheek before walking away.

"Alistair?" Kellan called her name.

She turned and saw him leaning against a tree, his arms crossed, his blue eyes set on her. "Kellan," she stared at him. "Is everything okay?"

"I couldn't sleep. What about you?" Kellan replied.

"I just woke up early." Alistair answered. She walked over to him. "So what kept you up?"

"I couldn't stop thinking about how scared you were about killing those people. I kept seeing you crying and covered in blood. You were traumatized. I just couldn't stay asleep." Kellan sighed.

"I'm so sorry." Alistair hugged him. "I didn't mean to ruin your night."

"No, it's all right. It's not like you meant to." Kellan held her waist as she leaned back to look into his eyes. "Are you worried, Alistair?"

"I'm trying to stay calm and strong. I have to be a leader." Alistair replied. She had been assigned as Captain to this group, Team One. She was important and she had to be the role model for the others.

"You are a leader." Kellan placed his hands on her cheeks. "And a really good one. You saved Eric from being killed and you managed to kill about six Destines all on your own. You are an amazing leader."

Alistair smiled as his bright blue eyes stared into hers. "That's really nice."

"I have to tell you something." Kellan let one hand fall back down to his side, but the other held Alistair's chin and tilted it up slightly.