Chapter Twenty-Two

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

~Winston Churchill

Chapter Twenty-Two

The next day, Alistair was released from the hospital. They didn't know what would happen to her, though. She seemed well enough and all the tests they'd run had proven that she was. There was just this anxiety of how she would react to that chemical reaction of her blood and the immortal weapon.

She looked at her reflection in the mirror. Her eyes were dark green again, but now they had tiny flecks of gold that hadn't been there before. Her hair was still dark brown and somewhat black, but her hair was somehow silkier and richer. Her fingers slipped through it effortlessly although she hadn't touched a comb or brush since the start of the war. Even her skin seemed to be brighter, stronger, healthier. But all she could see in this suit were her hands, her face, and some of her neck.

A nurse walked in with a change of clothes for her. Alistair took them gratefully. "Thank you so much." She smiled.

The girl nodded and smiled back. "You're welcome." She walked out of the room.

Alistair went into the bathroom and quickly changed into the shirt and shorts. She put the sandals on and walked out of the room. She walked into the lobby where Zayne, Kellan, Salem, and Landon were standing there, waiting for her.

"Hey," she smiled at them. "Can I go back to the Academy now?"

"Yeah, let's go." Kellan motioned for her to come with them.

They walked to the Academy, where the students all turned as Alistair walked past them. There was a new air of respect, after seeing her battle and fall. She was feeling so much better now, it was as if she had never been hurt.

The boys had been told to watch her closely, to make sure that nothing bad happened to her. For all they knew, the Destines had poisoned her somehow, most likely not to kill her, but perhaps to weaken her so that they could make their move.

"Maybe you want to go to your room and rest?" Kellan asked her.

She shook her head. "I've been resting for a long time. I want to get out and train." She gasped. "Where's my bow?"

"Don't worry. We have your bow. And your arrows and your sword." Zayne put his hand on her back. "I'll stay with her." He told Kellan.

Kellan looked away then he looked back at Zayne. "Okay, just be careful. If anything happens, come get one of us."

"Wait, what about Winson? Did anyone save him or did he break free?" Alistair grabbed Kellan's wrist.

"We don't know Alistair. He hasn't contacted us in any way. He could have escaped or he could still be with the Destines. We don't know." Kellan pulled his wrist away gently.

Alistair looked to Zayne. "Okay, let's go."

•••

Alistair held her bow in her hands again and it felt like it belonged there. She pulled an arrow slowly this time, lining it up perfectly and drawing it back patiently. She let it go and it flew straight through the bullseye, leaving a small hole that was outlined with gold dust.

Zayne looked at her. "How do you do that?"

"I don't try to. It just... happens." Alistair shrugged. "What color are my eyes?" She looked at him.

"Green, with little gold flecks. Hmm, I never noticed those before." He told her.

"That's because they weren't there before." Alistair informed him. She moved to another target and pulled another arrow. The same thing happened again.