Chapter Nine

"Memories are what warm you up from the inside. But they're also what tear you apart."

~Haruki Murakami

Chapter Nine

Alistair and Salem returned to the Academy an hour later. Whitney was sitting in the lobby. She jumped to her feet when they walked in, "Hey." She smiled at them.

"Hey," Alistair replied and Salem waved. "What's up?"

"I was wondering if you guys wanted to come with me and Janie to the festival tonight. Where's Kellan?" Whitney answered.

"He's around here somewhere and I'd love to go. Salem?" She looked at him.

Salem nodded. "I forgot to tell you about that. I don't know if Kellan will go though."

"I'll go and ask him." Alistair started to walk off. "See you guys later."

She walked to the Sanctuary, expecting to find Kellan sitting there with a book. She walked in and there he was, reading Charles Dickens. This book was different though. She leaned forward to read the title. "A Christmas Carol," she read aloud.

Kellan looked up and saw her. "Well, hi," he said.

Alistair sat next to him and smiled. "Do you want to go to the festival tonight?"

Kellan looked at her for a second. "Not really, I don't like parties."

Alistair recognized the line as one that she'd used several times on Michael and Katy when they'd wanted her to come somewhere. She realized it did sound trite now. "I get that, but sometimes we have to do things we don't like. You're going and you'll have fun." She smiled.

Kellan looked at her. "What?"

"You're going to the festival." She said slowly. "Even if I have to drag you there myself. You're going."

Kellan sighed. Her mind was set and he couldn't change it. The way he was about his duties. "Alright, I'll go."

"Thank you for not making me resort to violence." Alistair replied sarcastically, rising to her feet with a satisfied smile. "What about the Grand Ball?"

"Huh?" Kellan frowned.

"Will you go to the Grand Ball?" She rephrased her question.

"I always go." He replied. "It's mandatory for me."

"Why?" Alistair asked.

"Because I got into a fight with Zayne and now we both have to go. To every one." Kellan shook his head.

"Oh," Alistair replied. "Well save me a dance, okay?" She smiled and left the Sanctuary.

•••

The festival began when the sun was beginning to set and the sky darkened. Alistair wore a purple dress with a black belt tightened around her stomach and some flat shoes. She smiled and grabbed Kellan's hand. "It'll be fun." She whispered.

Kellan looked back at her. "I seriously doubt it." He smiled.

Alistair's jaw dropped slightly.

"What?" Kellan asked.

"You smiled." She grinned. "You never smile."

"I smile." He rolled his eyes and started walking.

Alistair followed, her hand still in his. "Where are you going?"

"I'm following Whitney, Janie, and Salem." He pointed up ahead.

"Oh, I guess I was... What's that word? Oh yeah, I guess I was gobsmacked by that smile of yours." Ali smiled at him.