Chapter Thirteen

"In a battle all you need to make you fight is a little hot blood and the knowledge that it's more dangerous to lose than to win."

~ George Bernard Shaw

Chapter Thirteen

Alistair wore a black suit that was supposed to make her feel more comfortable during battle. She had a sword at her waist and her bow and arrows were on her back. Surprisingly, she wasn't weighed down by the weapons.

She was flying on her hover board in a small group with Kellan, Zayne, Salem, Whitney, Janie, Eric, Heath, Selena, and Alexis. Winston has suggested that they all split up to get to the Destines. If all went as planned, they would be able to sneak up on the Destines and take them out easily.

Alistair took a deep breath as her stomach turned slightly. She knew it wasn't from hunger. For some strange reason, she felt like something was going to go wrong. She shook her head and flew higher.

The two weeks had gone by as fast as lightning. Alistair had learned plenty and was ready to put the plan into action. She just couldn't help but think something was wrong. She was missing something. Kellan rose up to her. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, of course," Alistair nodded. She leaned forward and zipped across the land.

They flew for hours, until the sun began to set. Static came to life in her ear and she heard Johnson's voice. "Prepare to make camp. The sun's going down and it's not the best idea for us to fly at night in such an unfamiliar territory."

"Got it." Alistair lowered her board into the trees and jumped onto a branch. She grabbed her board and turned it off.

The rest of her group did the same. They would sleep in the trees tonight.

Zayne climbed over to Alistair. "How are you doing?"

"Better than I thought I would." Alistair shrugged, her back against the tree's trunk. "Have you ever been in war?"

"No, I'm only twenty Alistair." Zayne reminded her.

"I know." Alistair smiled.

"Do you want to eat something?" Zayne asked her.

"I'm not hungry." Alistair shook her head.

"Alistair, you haven't eaten anything all day. That's not a good idea when we're about to go into battle." Zayne replied, worry lining his words.

"I'll pay for that later. But right now, I'm not hungry." Alistair frowned.

"I'll bring you something later." Zayne suggested.

"Okay," Alistair gave in.

Zayne smiled and jumped down to the ground. He joined the rest of the group. Eric looked over to him. "She's not coming?"

"No," Zayne shook his head and picked up some food for Alistair. "But I'll make sure she eats something today."

•••

The next morning, Alistair ate an apple and jumped onto her hover board. The rest of the group was below, finishing up breakfast and preparing to leave.

Kellan was already on his hover board as well and he flew over to Alistair. "Why aren't you eating?"

"I ate last night and this morning." Alistair defended herself.

Kellan rose an eyebrow. "You didn't come down."

"I just don't feel so well." Alistair frowned.

"What? Like you're sick?" Kellan asked.