Chapter Six

"As you know, there are certain languages that lend themselves very easily to vocal use."

~Neville Marriner

Chapter Six

Alistair and Kellan stood outside for their Hand-to-Hand Combat class. Whitney and Salem were there also and they all stood in a group.

"Alistair, why don't you come and fight against Marina?" Mr. Brennan called over to her.

Alistair walked over to the girl and smiled slightly. Marina only frowned and scrutinized her. Ali took a step back and prepared herself for a battle. Mr. Brennan called for them to start.

Marina didn't hesitate on throwing the first punch. Alistair dodged the blow by leaning back and countered with a right hook of her own. Her fist connected with Marina's jaw and the girl blinked back tears. She was furious. She stopped thinking after that and only wanted to take Alistair down. She jumped into the air and kicked Ali in the chest, sending Ali backwards.

Ali managed to turn the fall into a backflip and landed cleanly on her feet. She dashed to Marina and threw a punch at Marina, which landed on her nose. Alistair felt the crack that resulted and Marina couldn't hold back the tears then. "I think she broke my nose!" Marina covered her nose and blinked rapidly.

"Let me see." Mr. Brennan looked at Marina.

Marina uncovered her sore nose to show the teacher. He shook his head.

"It's not broken Marina. You'll be fine." He replied.

She spun around and slapped Ali hard in the face. Her cheek was red from the hit. Ali's eyes glowed gold and she turned to her side and kicked Marina as hard as she could. Marina fell out of the boundaries and let out a cry of pain. Ali frowned and looked back at Kellan, Salem, and Whitney. Salem and Kellan looked proud. Whitney looked worried.

Alistair was declared the winner and she stepped to the side to watch the next matchup with the rest of her class. "So who are you fighting, Whitney?"

"I think I'm going against Rebecca Livingston." Whitney answered with her finger in her mouth.

Ali frowned and pulled Whitney's hand down. "That's a horrible habit. You should stop."

Whitney lifted her hand back up. "It's better than smoking."

"That's the next step." Alistair replied.

Whitney's name was called. "I'll try." She shrugged and stepped into the boundaries.

Whitney won her match with ease, making Alistair wonder why she was biting her nails. She smiled as Whitney came to stand by her again. Then Whitney resumed biting her nails. "I'm serious, Whitney. It's almost as bad."

Whitney dropped her hand and smiled at Alistair. "You happy?"

"Kind of," Ali shrugged. "Why are you biting them anyway?" She asked curiously.

Whitney's eyes traveled away from Alistair and back. "I don't know. It's just something I do." She looked at her hands.

"Oh," Alistair looked over to try to find where Whitney had looked. She met Kellan's eyes and smiled. She turned to him. "You were great. I don't see how I could've caught you off guard."

"I'm good, but I know you're better. These skills are in your blood Ali. You just have to learn to take control of them." He nodded.

"I'm trying." Ali replied. "I really am."

The last class Ali and Kellan had was Foreign Languages. The teacher greeted her students at the door. When she saw Ali, she gasped and pulled the girl to the side. "Bonjour, ma fille. Parlez-vous français?"[1] The woman asked her in French.