Chapter 6: Rise and Fall

The lights of the city flashed by as we made our way through the streets of Vale. Eventually, I followed suit as the pearly-white convertible pulled into a parking space outside a red brick building titled "MONTY'S."

I parked my bike next to DJ's car and killed the engine. Yang jumped off and removed her helmet. "Oh! I love this place! My dad used to bring me and Ruby here whenever we were in town as kids!" I was grinning as I pulled off my own helmet, happy to see we'd made a good choice.

Even though I'd initially forgotten he and Pyrrha were joining us, DJ had gone ahead and planned for dinner reservations.

We made our way inside. DJ approached the hostess with his cocky grin. "What's up?! Reservation for Willis. Party of four!"

We were led up the stairs to the roof-top patio. It was a nice set-up with candles and a white tablecloth. The view of the harbor was pretty with the stars and shattered moon shining brightly overhead.

We gathered around the table with DJ and me taking our dates' jackets and helping them into their seats. The hostess provided our menus and left. The waitress eventually showed up for our drink orders.

Pyrrha asked for water. DJ ordered a cola. Yang tried to order a strawberry sunrise, but no luck. While she tried to decide again I asked for a lime cooler. "Lots of ice, please."

Yang piped up. "Oh! That sounds good! I'll have the same!"

The night went on with talking, joking, laughing, and eating. It turned out that having DJ and Pyrrha with us actually seemed to make the night even more fun.

I was more surprised at how well Pyrrha seemed to be enjoying herself. She was even laughing at all of DJ's cheesy one-liners. A lot of them weren't even that funny! She had a bright smile on the whole time. She didn't show any signs of her polite façade. From every angle, all I could see was a girl genuinely enjoying herself.

'Guess this double date thing turned out well for the both of us, DJ.'

Yang and I were having a great time as we got to know each other better. She told me about her Dad and growing up on the island of Patch. I didn't ask about her mother. I figured if she wanted me to know, she would tell me.

She talked about her desire to explore the world and have new adventures every day. She even told me about how Ruby got into Beacon, which didn't sound much different compared to the night I met Oobleck and Ozpin. Then the touchy subjects came out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yang's POV

"What about your family?" I asked (f/n).

He wore an adorable faint smile as he described his childhood. "I'm an only child. My parents were both Huntsmen. Dad eventually retired, but he still trained me ever since I was little. He trained Ren too. That's how I knew him. Dad would take us out into the woods to fight monsters. He taught us to survive and work together, hoping that one day, we- I- would become a great Huntsman. All I ever wanted was to make him proud."