Volume 2, Chapter 5: Special Mission - Backup

General Ironwood was already in the giant office with Professors Ozpin and Goodwitch by the time I arrived with my team. 

As we took our usual seats, I had to ask, "What's this all about, Professor Ozpin?"

The headmaster simply turned to the General. "I believe I'll allow General Ironwood to explain, since I'm a bit lacking on the details myself."

Ironwood stepped forward. "Less than two hours ago, I received an alert regarding an unauthorized entry into the Beacon Cross-Continental Transmit center," he began. "When I arrived on the scene, I found Miss Ruby Rose engaging the intruder."

'So that's where she wandered off to! But how did Ruby find out about the intrusion?'

"Miss Rose claimed she was outside the dance venue when she noticed a suspicious woman making her way toward the tower. She chose to follow and caught the woman in the communications room." Ironwood concluded saying, "The intruder managed to escape just as I arrived, so she couldn't be captured or identified." 

He stepped back. There was a moment of silence, so I took it as an opportunity to speak. "That isn't really a lot of usable information," I commented.

"Is there any indication as to what the intruder's intentions were?" Jameson asked.

"Not that we've found so far. We know she directly accessed the communications network, but we haven't been able to figure out what she was doing with it," Ironwood responded.

"You said Ruby was engaging the intruder. By that, I assume, you mean they were fighting. Is that correct?" Skyler pressed.

"Yes, that's correct," Ironwood answered. "Miss Rose claimed she was a very capable opponent, so she probably has combat training."

I jumped in with my own question. "With that, as well as the fact that Ruby saw her so close to the school, can we also assume that this intruder is also a Huntress?"

No one answered for a moment. Ozpin and Ironwood did exchange looks of concern, though.

I posed another question to break the silence. "What do you want us to do, Professor?"

His eyes were serious as he turned to address my team. "Keep a sharp eye on the other students," he said. "We very well may have an infiltrator in our midst."

DJ voiced everyone's surprise. "Are you saying this person may have broken into Beacon Academy?"

Ozpin nodded sternly. "We'll be debriefing Miss Rose tomorrow morning. If we receive any further information, you will be equally informed. Until then, remain vigilant at all times. Be ready for anything."

We all answered in unison. "Understood, sir."

"Good," Ozpin said. "That will be all. You are dismissed."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------