Chapter 8~ The Beginning of the End

Sabirah's POV

"And the sad thing in this world is that, when you care for people too little, you loose them, and when you care for them too much, you end up getting hurt" -Sabirah Sayyef

"So when are you planning to do the presentation as a power point? It's due next week and well, being the mind of analyzing it, I did my part" Samatar said in a smart tone leaning against my locker eating a sucker .

"Trust me, we got lots of time, and now that our moms are like obsessed with each other, I'm pretty sure I can make the tables turn, so don't push it Mister." I said as I walked past him with a smirk

"Seems like you got the real Somaliness in you with the whole watch out kinda thing huh Sabs?"

"Stop calling me that, I have a name and I would like to be addressed by that." I huffed at him

"But Sabs is so much more cuter." He laughed.

"And so is this textbook when it hits your arm." That shut him up before laughing again

"How many times were you dropped for you to have understood that the first time?" I teased laughing alongside him as well.

"Many, I was a squirmy child in my Hooyo's arms." He laughed so hard at this which caused him to bend over. I looked at him with wide eyes wondering if he was ok as people started whispering around us.

"Bro, seriously, stop with the laughter, you're attracting attention" I said in a more serious tone now trying to avoid the hiccuping giggles.

"Sabs, we need to be giddy once in a while ya know? From this depressed world, we gotta fill that emptiness in our hearts that eat away at us sometimes. Even if it's for a moment." He said looking at me with his soft brown amber eyes. Why was he so cute? Like it's haram for such a weird person to be this cute. Gosh I needed to stop being around him.

"Why are you so depressing man, like you help me forget about my problems and then you remind me, what are you? My therapist or my realist?" I shaked my head only to have hit someone.

"OhMyAllah, I'm so sorry----" Before I could finish, I looked to see who it was and suddenly, I didn't feel so sorry anymore.

"So like, I thought my radar would go off whenever it picked up on this thing, don't you think gals?" She said turning for agreement from the girls behind her. Opening my mouth to put her in place, Samatar spoke before I could.

"Well, seems like a radar knows the difference between a thing, and a human. Anyways, what do you want Reyhana? Ashaz is in the gym playing Basketball. Go spy on him or do whatever it is that you do fan girling him." He said with an annoyed look as if it's routine to have this run-in with her.

"I don't go to Ashaz, he comes to me ok Sam? And because you were one of us, why do you hang out with her? Even her best friend Aliyah left her, which means she's not as innocent as you think she is. Stop lowering your standards." She finished looking at her nails totally oblivious to her rude comment. My blood started boiling with rage as I clenched my fists, tears started swelling in my eyelids

"Ha, cool story bro, I hang out with Sabirah because she actually has a heart. And why don't you go and spend the money you have to flaunt on charity? Because that cold heart needs to be melted with a bit of humanity." He finished as I walked past him towards the bathroom to calm myself down. I washed my face with cold water before heading back out. I was sick of having people fight my battles when I could do it myself.

"Hey, you ok?" Samatar asked concern written all over his face

"I'm fine. Why did you defend me back there? I could've handled her myself. Now she thinks I can't speak for myself." I huffed in irritation