Chapter 39

Are we crazy?
Living our lives through a lens
Trapped in our white-picket fence
Like ornaments
So comfortable, we live in a bubble, a bubble
So comfortable, we cannot see the trouble, the trouble
Aren't you lonely
Up there in utopia
Where nothing will ever be enough?
Happily numb
So comfortable, we live in a bubble, a bubble
So comfortable, we cannot see the trouble, the trouble

Chained To The Rhythm - Katy Perry

~•~

The days that passed since Negan's visit to Greenview had been quiet. Lauren believed she had gained a little more of his trust by her devious trick but she knew that she needed to act soon. She refused to live under the thumb of the Saviors and she couldn't risk the lived of her people any longer. She stood infront of the mirror gazing at her bare and ruined back. The scars were a constant reminder of Negan's wrath and what he could do to Carl if he found out she'd cross him.

She knew the scars were a part of her, a permanent piece of her story, inked with pain.

Lauren pushed the self-pity to the back of her mind and pulled the long-sleeved blue tee over her head. She brushed her fingers over her pronounced collar bones, one of the only places that remained unmarked on her body. She brushed some imaginary dust from her grey leggings and pulled on the knife strap, fastening it securely on her thigh. She pulled on her sheathed machete, along with her quiver and grabbed her crossbow.

She looked on at the warrior in the streaked mirror, and the warrior smiled back.

She pulled her shortened hair into a tight ponytail. She looked healthier, her face was less gaunt and her lips were fuller. She was slowly forgetting how broken she was, and relaxing back into herself.

And she had a job to do.

Lauren left her room, striding into the lobby like she used to, as a leader. She was living proof that the Survivors would not fall to Negan. She smiled slightly when she saw all of her people, her friends, dressed and ready to find their way out. They had heard word of other groups controlled by the Saviors, and some that were not, and Lauren needed numbers.

"Are the scouts back?" She asked and Carl nodded, the bandage over his eye dark against his pale skin. His lips turned upward as he took her in, even more beautiful now than he had ever seen her.

"They're waiting out front," He said and Lauren nodded, tangling her fingers with his as she led him outside. She stepped into the crisp morning air, and the scouts flocked to her to tell her of all they had seen and heard.

"Negan has a lot of settlements under his thumb," The oldest woman spoke, "We heard whisperings of a large group who live by a huge lake an hours drive from here. From what it sounded like Negan hadn't got to them just yet, but he plans to. Here's a map, we've marked it."

"That's where I'll go," Lauren nodded, thanking the scouts and dismissing them before she turned to her group.

"Negan is gonna be here soon, and we need something good," Lauren started, "Daryl and Abraham, take who you need for a raid. I need you to bring back as much as you can."

Daryl just nodded and lifted his crossbow to rest on his shoulder. Abraham tilted his head upward, looking each person up and down, Lauren smiled. She looked back at Carl who was already watching her, savouring what it felt like to see her happy.