Their Beginning, Our Ending.

My inability to say no those pouting lips and puppy dog eyes were what ended up having me in a pub 2 weeks after my knee surgery. I was sore, tired and all I just wanted was sink into my sofa crevice and fall asleep after shouting abuse at a referee or two whilst watching a good footie match.

But alas puppy dog eyes ruined my plans.

Worse too, I was stuck being Hazza's wingman. I could only smile painfully and nod when appropriate as I watched my crush of ten years work his charm on two brunettes that didn't stand a chance. Because when Harry Edward freaking Styles set his mind to something, he rarely failed and right now the blushing brunette with the pretty smile was his focus.

I guess that the other brunette with legs for days had been left for me. Harry knew I was a leg man, but he missed the fact that I just preferred his legs. On another occasion, I might have taken the opportunity for a less than serious coupling but this was different.

This situation was different because Harry never specifically went to a club for a girl. He went for the booze and the lights and dancing. If he wanted a piece of ass, he went to his groupie girls because Harry mother freaking Styles was famous enough in their teeny college town to have his own groupies.

So I knew that whatever was going between him and this girl was serious, and all I could do was nurse my beer and smile half-heartedly at whatever my intended brunette was saying and pray to whatever god that was out there that Harry found some fault with the girl.

'For god's sake, find a reason to spit or something to throw him off!'I scream in my head as I watch the girl laugh brightly at something Harry kiss-pered in her ear.

"Hey!" My intended brunette screams in my ear.

"Sorry, what?" I start, realizing that I missed something she asked me. I knew that I was being rude but I was lovesick and tired. And yes, in that order.

I'm sure there's a rule in the universe that allows me testy in such conditions.

"You know if you don't want to be here, you can leave." She bristles, apparently not taking me ignoring her well.

"Sorry. I just had knee surgery. I'm not feeling so good." I tell the half-truth. 'And I have to make sure that your girl there doesn't take away the one thing I want but too chicken to get.'

What'sis' her name gives me a once-over like she is some type of living scanner that could pinpoint whether I was lying or not. For all, I knew she could be. My mom always seemed to scan through my bullshit from the truth.

"Harry." I tugged at his shirt, shifting my crutches so I could easily reach him. I had to tug on his bloody shirt harder when I realized that his eyes were transfixed on his date's jiggling boobs as she belched out a belly laugh.

"Yes?" He finally tore his eyes away from the object of his desire.

"I'm going home, man. My knee is bothering me." I gesture to the mass of raw looking flesh that was poking out of my ripped skinny's.

"Shit, I shouldn't have made you come, Niall. I'm so sorry. Do you want me to drop you off at home?" Harry's concern for me was unmistakable. I knew he cared for me and that there was little he wouldn't do for me. At one point seeing the concern and willingness to drop everything for him would have satisfied me, but now it just made the ache in his heart hurt more.

It hurt because he was concerned for his best friend.

That's all Harry ever saw me as. His bloody ride or die.

And I was too scared to try and cross that line.

"Nah. Enjoy yourselves, you crazy kids. I will get a taxi" I respond, gathering my crutches around me whilst ducking my head, so he couldn't see how much my smile resembled a painful grimace.