Chapter 2

Monotony.

Every single fucking day, that's all it was. The same scenery filled with the same people I always saw. Stupid, brain-dead customers coming in to buy shit music.

Then, there was me.

Where the fuck was I going? Nowhere.

Yeah, I'd gotten an open mic slot with the local bar every Tuesday but that wasn't enough! I needed so much more but I just couldn't find it.

I grumble as I work the cash register, handing a cent and a receipt to the person buying a CD.

My new 'neighbour' came by yesterday asking me to go to his housewarming party but I ended up declining the invitation; I wasn't in the mood to see people. All I wanted to do was get drunk and sleep. Besides, he wouldn't have missed me at all. Hell, the only reason he invited me was because he felt he had to as I'm his neighbour and all that.

Why would he invite someone he didn't know?

Idiot.

I look up at the clock and count the last few minutes until I can go. The manager is very specific about things like that; you have to clock off exactly on time. I grab my jacket and yell a quick bye into the break room and leave, relief washing over me.

God, I hate my job.

I pull out a cigarette and light it, getting into my car and driving home. It was Thursday which meant that tomorrow was my day off and I knew I would spend it doing nothing. Taylor's day off was today which meant that she would be there when I got home, unfortunately. She was annoying me these days. Where do I attract these types of girls?

Maybe it was time for me to move on.

Because that's what I do.

I put the cigarette out and walk up the steps to my apartment. I realised that the door to River's was open and I peek in, being the cliché nosy neighbour. I was just generally intrigued as to why the door was open and what was going on in there. I can hear a voice but I don't look further in because I'd really only spoken to him three times. Twice when he was standing on my doorstep and once when he was in the record shop. A small voice in the back of my head was nagging me.

Why do I remember that?

“B-But you can't do this to me! I only moved here because you were going to.” I widen my eyes when I realise that he's crying, his voice was broken.

“No! That's not fair, you told me you were moving out here after you'd quit your job.”

There is silence after that so I assume that the person on the other end was speaking.

“Is there someone else?” His voice was snappy and sharp. Again, there was a silence but this time it was really short.

“You told me you loved me, you told me you would never do that to me! I gave up everything for you, my family, friends, my job! I seriously believed in you but you're just like they all said. I hate you, Jack.” There's obviously someone else.

I hear a choked sob and I raise my eyebrows, something inside me feeling sort of sorry for River. See, this is why I don't fall in love (I presumed he was talking to a lover).

I look to my apartment, wondering if I should go. I probably should.

Why the hell didn't I?

“What the fuck are you doing?” I pause and look up at River who is now standing in his doorway.

“What? Nothing!” I defend, knowing I just got caught out. He looks down, biting his lip.

“Did you, erm...hear all that?” He asks in a small voice.