Chapter 7

We weren't stuck in there for very long after I'd kissed him which was a bonus, I suppose. It meant that I didn't have to talk to him, although the silence was awkward.

I didn't need to do that, he would've calmed down on his own but no, I went and fucking kissed him. Like it was normal! Like we've been dating. Like he was Taylor. I know I can't keep doing this since it probably fucks with his emotions or something but I can't help it.

Maybe it's because he knows about the music. I don't know, it sounds plausible enough.

I let out a sigh and decide that I'm not going to work today. I start at four but I'm not bothered. I need to get my head sorted. I open the door to my apartment to leave and I stare at the entrance of River's. I wonder if his door is locked. Probably not.

I stand in the hallway and look both ways. I see the stupid elevator and scowl. I've turned around so I'm facing my own apartment instead of his, rethinking the whole going out thing.

“Alex.” I feel a hand on my arm and I feel myself being pulled into an apartment. I hear the door close and I'm thrown against it and before I can protest, his lips are on mine. I know they're his, nobody else's are as soft.

River's kissing me and the hostility he'd just shown disappears as I kiss him back. I wasn't expecting this. He lifts my shirt up and runs his hands down my chest. I don't object, how can I when it feels so good? He pulls away too quickly and looks at me quizzically.

I probably look a mess.

He doesn't, though. River looks even nicer with swollen lips.

“I'm sorry.” He apologises. I'm slightly bewildered so I don't say anything. “I did that, I needed to. I had to see if I was right in thinking what I did.” He's speaking in riddles and it's my turn to look at him with a disbelieving face.

“What did you think?” I ask, my breathing evening out.

“I thought about you.” He replies. “You make me feel weird, Alex. Nobody's ever made me feel quite like you do. I had to make sure that it was real and I haven't been imagining it.”

“Wow, you got that from two kisses, huh?”

“I did, actually. You kissed me like you're gay. I don't believe you're fully straight, Alex.” River smirks, making my heart beat faster.

Woah, what the fuck is this?!

“Oh, I'm straight.” I chuckle without humour, crossing my arms.

“I don't think you are.” He challenges with his hands on his hips.

“Just because you're gay, it doesn't mean everyone else is.” I shake my head, trying to come up with a realistic argument.

“Whoa, back up. You kissed me first and then you kissed me again, I doubt those are the actions of a straight man.” He snaps.

“Fuck you.” I say, my tone exasperated.

“I'm sure you'd like to, man.” He rubs the back of his neck, another smirk dancing across his face. Where did all this confidence come from?

“No, really. It's okay. I'm going to go.” I try to turn but River stops me. Like this hasn't been weird and awkward enough!

“Alex...” He begins as I look up. “I want to kiss you again.” This time he's not full of confidence but instead, with shyness. He changes his mood by the second. He makes me sigh deeply as I let my arms fall by my sides.

Am I really considering this?

“River, I don't think that's a good idea. Maybe we should stay away from each other, get rid of all these fucked up feelings.” I say.