Chapter 10

“So, it looks like you've got yourself a band. I want you to perform with them on Tuesday and then I'll start setting up this gig.” Eddie approaches me as I order two bottles of beer, one for myself and one for River who is supposed to meet me here.

“Yeah, that's fine.” I agree as I nod. He walks away smiling and I'm sat here waiting for River.

It's been twenty minutes and he's not here yet. I've drank both of the beers and I'm sitting with one untouched.

No, he told me he's going to come, maybe he's just held up or something. Traffic.

The large brightly lit clock on the wall ticks away, the minutes going ever so fast. It's half eight, he is supposed to be here by now, at least! Actually, he should have been here two hours ago.

To believe that I've been stood up makes me absolutely furious. I grab my keys and stand up, storming out of the bar and into my car. How dare he do this?

I drive angrily all the way back to my apartment, nearly going through the red lights. Who does he think he is?

Sure, it wasn't a date but when someone promises to be there but they don't even call to tell me where the fuck they are, it gets me angry. I can't stand people being late.

I see his apartment and I rap my knuckles on the door. There isn't a reply but then I realise that the door's open. I push it open and see him sitting on the couch. That's all I notice.

“Where the fuck were you?! I was waiting for you for over two fucking hours, River! If you didn't want to come, you should have just...called.” My voice falls flat at the end as I fully look at him. His blue eyes are red rimmed as he glances up at me, an apologetic look etched onto his face.

“River?” I walk over to where he's sitting and kneel down on the floor so my hands are resting on his knees. “What's wrong?” I ask cautiously.

He doesn't say anything about that, he just wipes his cheeks. “I'm sorry that you were waiting for me. I would have called but I just...” He trails off. River's voice is hoarse, like he's been shouting as well as crying. 

“No, forget about it. No big deal.” I say, shaking my head. “Wait, has Jack been here?” That would explain the crying.

He doesn't respond and I watch the tears fall from his eyes. I quickly wipe them away but he looks at me, alarmed.

“Sorry.” I look down. Obviously, I'm not supposed to have done that.

“No, it's okay. Don't apologise.” He smiles briefly before taking a deep breath.

“Are you going to tell me what's made you so upset?” Maybe it was that bastard.

“You guessed it.” River sighs, standing up and facing away from me. I raise my eyebrows and get up, walking over to him so I could look at him.

“He just came here? Out of the blue?” I ask, crossing my arms.

“Yeah, he did. No warning, no nothing.”

“What did he say?”

“Well, he apologised. Told me that he loves me and that he wants me to go back home with him.” River replies, a painful look on his face.

“You're not going to go, are you?”

“At the time, I was considering it.” He says slowly. It's like a stab to my chest. I mask my emotions and try to ignore the hurt I'm feeling. We're not exactly in a relationship, are we? No, we just sleep together. No fucking strings attached.

“Oh.” That's all I say. He's thinking for a while. “What made you change your mind?”

“Well, I fell for what he said and then we...slept together.” He's awaiting my reaction but I don't flinch even if I feel slightly betrayed even though I shouldn't. I sleep with Taylor all the time. We're not official or anything, he can sleep with anybody he wants to.