Chapter 8: Wela Volcano Park

Gary and I set out the next morning to head towards the next trial on Wela Volcano. Mostly the fire-type trial, where I will earn the Firium Z. We had gone through the battle royal, which was fun for a few battles, but I really wanted to continue going through everything.

"Hey battle with us!" Two twins came over to Gary and I as we made our way there. I nodded with a small smile on my face.

They sent out two Pichus. I threw out Leafeon and Gary threw out an Eevee. I looked at him a little surprised.

"I caught this little one a while back, I thought I might like to train an Eevee Evolution like you." I chuckled.

"I see. Leafeon use Leaf Storm!" I called out sharply.

"Eevee use Tackle!" The two pokemon jumped forward blasting the twins pokemon back who weren't really all that strong. Once we beat them they started crying and I immediately felt bad. I pulled out a pokeball.

"You know when I lose a tough battle I always play with this pokemon because she makes me feel a lot better, maybe she'll make you guys feel better too." I tossed her pokeball into the air, Sylveon appeared happily and the girls immediately cheered up as she jumped around them happily.

"You still have that kind-hearted spirit I remember." I nearly forgot Gary was there so I jumped a little and looked back at him. I smiled shyly.

"Yeah well, I'm not the same girl you remember from a few years ago, but I'm glad you think I haven't changed that much." I said lightly. He touched my shoulder lightly and I took it as a kind gesture.

"You haven't changed one bit to me. You will always be my friend, Kat. Nothing will change that." I felt my cheeks get a little warm from the statement and I had to look away.

"Thanks Gary..." I walked over to Leafeon who was talking with Eevee. "Thank you for battling Leafeon." I said with a small smile. She snuggled into my arms. "I'm sorry for everything, I hope you can forgive me..." She nodded once.

"I forgave you a long time ago, I'm just happy to have you back. We'll definitely find Umbreon now." I nodded sharply. Instinctively I reached for my necklace, it gave me a sense of hope knowing that no one could take away the bond I had with my pokemon.

"Thank you for letting us play with Sylveon, Miss." One of the girls said coming over with her sister and Sylveon.

"Of course, I don't mind at all. I love seeing my pokemon so happy." I said truthfully.

"You're going to challenge Kiawe aren't you?" I looked at the one girl.

"Is that the Wela Volcano Captain?" They both nodded.

"He's strong, you'll have to be just as strong to beat his trial." I chuckled.

"We we'll see who comes out on top." They took off shortly after and I decided to leave Leafeon and Sylveon out. We continued walking, but Gary stopped me at one point when he realized I was clutching my necklace tightly in my hand.

"Kat, is everything alright?" I frowned and looked at the ground.

"I just miss Umbreon...that's all."

"We'll find her, I promise. I won't rest until we do. But you can't shut me out, you can't shut your partners out, we won't get anywhere if you." I looked at him gently.

"I know..." He touched my arm lightly.

"I will be here, please don't shut me out...not me."

"I'll try not to, I can't promise anything." I muttered and he simply nodded. We continued walking up the volcano, when we reached the top it wasn't what I expected it to be.

"Welcome to Wela Volcano Park, I hope you show me the fire that dwells within you and your pokemon." A man with red hair said as he stared me and Gary down, but mostly me, because of my Island Challenge Amulet.

"I plan to."

"Then tell me the differences in these three dances and battle for the Firium Z." I was slightly confused, but each Captain had their own form of trial. I could easily tell the difference from a Hiker appearing in the dance to the new Totem Pokemon in the background of the final dance. I changed into a Lucario quickly. A Bone Rush appeared in my hands as Salazzle charged me quickly. I jumped into the air and slammed the bones down on its head. It crashed into the ground and I flipped back on to the ground.

The Salazzle got up and glared at me with a new-found fire in its eyes. I chuckled and made an Aura Sphere appear in my hands blasting her back into the rocks as quickly as she had come. She sent toxic gas at me and I started coughing from the venomous intake. I then felt pain as flames swirled around me. I cried out in pain and saw Gary rushing towards me with Sylveon and Leafeon right behind him. I shook my head at them.

"I can do this!" I called out and blasted the flames away. I wobbled a little getting to my feet slowly. The poison really hurt my lungs, but I closed my eyes and thought about Umbreon.

I must win this for her, I must get stronger so when we are together again I can take care of us both. I won't lose because I can't!

I allowed my body to glow as I changed into my Mega Evolved form. I opened my eyes sharply and Salazzle seemed to think a little differently about me now, as the aura rushed out from around me.

"I can't lose, because I have to be strong for when she returns." I took off and kicked Salazzle up into the air, then made an Aura Sphere appear in my hands once more sending her flying higher. The explosion caused the entire mountain to shake with the impact. Salazzle landed on the ground in a crumpled heap, I changed back to normal and collapsed to my knees. I still felt the poisons effects on my body. I coughed a little as Gary rushed to my side and this time I allowed him to. I shivered as he helped me to my feet. Kiawe looked at me utterly surprised by the confidence I had shown in my battle with Salazzle.

"Outstanding. You deserve this more than anyone I have seen yet." He handed me the Firium Z. Then he did his pose and smiled at me warmly. "You must continue onward to Mallow's trial, the hardest of all the trials here on Akala Island." I nodded once and allowed my Heal Bell to take effect, the poison ridded itself from my body. I took a few calming breaths and looked down at my friends. They were looking at me worried, but I smiled at them gently.

"I'm okay."

"Are you sure?" Gary asked now.

"Yes. I gotta be."