Chapter 18: Steven?

Gary and I had headed back to Ula'Ula Island so I could continue my Island Challenge. I had challenged the electric type captain, who turned out to be nothing but a little kid. He honestly wasn't that skilled when it came to being a captain, but I didn't have too much to judge him on.

"So are you ready for the next trial?" Gary asked as we walked through rocky terrain around us.

"Yeah from what I hear it's a Ghost type trial, I wonder what kind of Pokémon will be the totem." As we were talking I heard someone moving from behind us. Every time we would start talking the footsteps would get a little louder but when we would stop they were barely noticeable. I stopped and turned sharply seeing Steven standing there. He looked horrible. His hair was all messy and disheveled, his clothes were wrinkly and he had a strange odor to him as if he were around a Muk for a day.

"Steven?" I asked quietly. It still kind of hurt to say his name.

"Kat?" He said gently as if he were seeing me for the first time again. He took a step towards me and I instinctively took a step back.

"What happened to you?" I asked calmly.

"I don't remember, I remember seeing you hanging around with Korrina in Shalour City and then nothing...how long has it been since we have last talked?"

"Two years." He froze a little, had his mind been messed up by the jellyfish Ultra Beasts too?

"Two years... I'm so sorry if I hurt you during that time period. I can see you have a fear of me now. I did something terrible didn't I?"

"Yes."

"What?"

"Steven you don't want to know."

"Yes I do, so I can fix it."

"It's not something you can fix, not anymore anyways." I muttered and Gary touched my shoulder.

"I did something with someone else didn't I? I can see the hate filled look on Gary's face. I'm so sorry, Kat." I could see the genuine sadness on his face, the apology that dropped from his lips was real. He really didn't remember anything. But I did and I could never take him back no matter what even if he didn't remember the truth.

"I'm sorry Steven, but what happened between us can never be fixed. I can't go through what I went through before. I'm happy now, but is there anything I can do to help you? I can send you back to Kalos, my uncle could help you." He shook his head.

"I have taken enough from you, all I ask is that you teleport me to my home in Mossdeep. From there I can take care of myself." I nodded slowly. My hands glowed and I saw something flash across Steven's face, it was heartbreak. Even though he had hurt me when he wasn't in his right mind I had hurt him when he was finally better. 

"I'm sorry..." I muttered as he disappeared. I dropped to my knees and looked at the ground. "If only I had known then maybe I could have saved what was left of us, but I can't do that anymore...I'm so sorry Steven for not seeing that you were suffering too." Gary bent down next to me and touched my shoulder.

"You couldn't have known."

"But if I had then maybe I could have done something. If I had known that the entire time he was suffering then maybe just maybe there would have been something I could have done to ease the pain."

"Kat you can't save everyone." I felt something in my heart shatter by those words.

You can't save everyone...

"I wish I could..."