Chapter 7- Nephilim

The cold Columbus breeze bit into my skin as soon as we exited the car. Erik opened the door for me like a gentleman and assisted me with my things as we boarded the plane.

Thankfully, the trip wasn't too long. Erik and I made small talk, but I still felt oddly comfortable around him. Maybe because he was the one who'd, well, told me what I was. Mum said he'd been protecting me and that he'd be my guide and my friend even though I knew there was a lot I didn't know about him.

We were only two hours away from entering Sydney; Australia, when I asked Erik a question that had been bugging me since we left my house.

"What exactly do Nephilim do? You said we have some sort of power; some power that we have to learn to control."

We were in a secluded area of the plane that Erik had organised for us earlier, so we could talk freely without the worries of prying ears.

He shifted in his seat. "Once your angel half is awakened you'll become much faster, stronger and more agile. You'll heal quicker, feel less pain and my personal favourite, learn compulsion."

"Compulsion? Like, mind control?" I questioned.

He nodded and turned to face me, his turquoise orbs cutting straight through me. "I could make you kiss me right now if I wanted too."

I felt the blood rise to my cheeks and tried to look away, but his eyes had me in some sort of trance. "You wouldn't."

"Wouldn't I?" He grinned, showing me his perfectly straight, white rows of teeth.

God, I wish he wasn't so hot. I wish we'd met under different circumstances. In that instant I felt drawn to him; captivated. My eyes traced his perfectly sculpted face structure, and I found myself leaning closer towards to him, wanting him.

Our lips were a centimetre apart when he looked away and my sudden urge vanished. I looked away too, embarrassed that I'd almost kissed him. He'd actually done it, put me under his seductive spell and even though that spell was gone, some feeling deep down remained.

"You just compelled me, didn't you?"

He laughed softly, "Told you I would."

I scoffed and folded my arms across my chest defensively, feeling hurt and I wasn't going to lie, a little disappointed.

"Here," Erik reached down into his black duffle bag and pulled out something old and battered, with a baby blue cover. "It's a book on Nephilim. It might help you learn more than I can tell you."

"Thanks," I replied, taking the book from his hands. The pages were yellowed and torn, the script so small I had to squint a little.

"It's like our bible," he added.

"So I see." I opened the book to a random chapter in the middle titled Nephilim Vulnerabilities.

I showed it to Erik. "I thought Nephilim were, I don't know, invincible?"

"No," he begun, "Angels are immortal and almost indestructible, but we're half mortal which makes us much more liable."

"Liable to what?"

He pointed to a paragraph on the same page.

It read: Angels class Nephilim as abominations and many believe they are even more detestable than demons and Lucifer himself. Angels will refuse aid to Nephilim, including their own children unless the high monarchy of heaven demands it, therefore the angel will have no choice.

This puzzled me. My father ran the institution, why would he do that if he hated Nephilim?

"So you say Kade is head of the institution in Australia, that would have to mean that this book is wrong. It says that angels despise us, their own children." I questioned.