Chapter 22- Underestimated

I didn't have the words to describe this amount of hurt.

How could he?

How could Logan be involved in this?

A lump in my throat formed and the more I stared into his dark brown eyes, the more I wanted to scream.

"You...." I felt the tears tumble down my cold cheeks.

Did he feel any guilt? Did he care at all?

His eyes stayed on me while he told Jeb to leave.

He continued to stare and it made me more anxious. His lips parted and I wasn't ready for what he said next.

"I'm sorry."

I was drowning in a sea of emotions, huge waves of them pushing me under.

Emotions are terrible but anchoring things, I used to think that they were what made us human.

Guess not.

"You're....sorry?"

He looked away from me now.

"You try to kill us and you're sorry?!" It was spoken as a mangled cry.

"It's not what I wanted."

"Then why?" I yelled at him, the words echoing off the walls.

He sighed, taking a moment to think about his next words I assumed.

"You have to try to understand."

I wanted to scream at him.

"Understand?" My voice was now cracked; a physical demonstration on how I was feeling inside; completely broken.

"Kid-"

I couldn't stand listening to his voice. "Where is he?" I asked, softer this time, my voice felt strained, my throat swollen from the screaming.

Logan was quick to reply. "He's here." There was no expression or wavering tone in his voice.

And alive. Thank God.

"I need to see him."

Logan let out a loud sigh. "You can't."

The anger fuelled me again. "I need to!" I started sobbing. "I have to."

Logan only stared.

Logan. My friend, Logan.

He was gone. I saw a new person standing outside the barred door where he stood. His face hadn't changed but there was a darkness surrounding him, like an aura and I no longer knew him.

"I'm-"

"Don't tell me your sorry!" I snapped my head to face him.

Logan flinched at my words. He flinched.

Remorse?

Remorse from a man that tried to kill me? Unlikely.

"Please..." I uttered, no louder than a whisper.

There were tense moments of silence and I hoped he was considering my pleas. He had too; I had to make sure Erik was okay. Jeb told me he was alive so at least I had that small comfort to bring me the tiniest bit of ease, but my need to see him personally was so strong I knew nothing else would suffice until I did.

My gaze was glued on Logan, my eyes hungry for his reply.

He turned so I could only see the back of his thick dark hair. "I'm sorry."