4

"How to put back the power in our soul"

"Mastery of the sling ring is essential to the mystic arts." Mordo lectured in the courtyard. Ella watched the class, her eyes focusing on Stephen. "They allow us to travel throughout the multiverse. All you need to do is focus. Visualize. See the destination in your mind. Look beyond the world in front of you. Imagine every detail. The clearer the picture, the quicker, and easier, the gateway will come." He explained as the students began to draw perfect circles, creating the portals. Stephen didn't even create one.

"And stop." Mordo said as the Ancient One and Master Hamir walked into the courtyard, observing the students.

"I'd like a moment alone with Mr. Strange." The Ancient One said, looking at the stubborn student.

"Of course." Mordo bowed, waving his hand for the dismissal of the class. The students bowed, dispersing to leave the Ancient One and Stephen a moment alone. Ella rose, interested to what would happen.

"My hands." Stephen shook his head, raising his hands.

"It's not about your hands." She replied with a shake of her head.

"How is this not about my hands?"

"Master Hamir." She indicated, allowing the Master to stand between them. Master Hamir complied, pulling back his left sleeve to reveal a stump. He began to swing his left arm around, forming a transmutation pattern, proving the Ancient One's point.

"Thank you, Master Hamir." He bowed, walking away. "You cannot beat a river into submission. You have to surrender to its current, and use its power as your own."

"I... I control it by surrendering control? That doesn't make any sense." He said, squinting his eyes.

"Not everything does. Not everything has to. Your intellect has taken you far in life. But it will take you no further. Surrender, Stephen. Silence your ego and your power will rise." The Ancient One raised her left hand, forming a portal. "Come with me."

Stephen walked through the portal, shocked to see snow and feel gusts of chilling air whipping his robes around. The Ancient One winked at Ella, before disappearing through a portal.

"Oh, no," Ella muttered. "She is going to kill him."

"Wait

"Wait. Is this..." Stephen began.

"Everest." The Ancient One finished, smiling.

"It's beautiful." He breathed, grinning.

"Yeah, you're right." She agreed, nodding her head.

"Beautiful. It's freezing, but... beautiful." Stephen said, wrapping his arms around himself.

"At this temperature, a person can last for 13 minutes before suffering permanent loss of function." The Ancient One said, beginning to make a portal.