7

"And now I just sit in silence"

Pietro sat at the café tying and untying his shoelaces, trying to take his mind off the last time he had been on a mission. Wanda had convinced him to come, telling him that it will be good for him. Maybe it would help him get over his grief. Pietro could only hope she was right.

"Alright, what do you see?" Steve's voice came over through the coms.

"Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target." Wanda replied, sipping her tea. She watched the street, her eyes darting over to Pietro every now and then. Focus, Wanda she scolded herself, turning her eyes back to the street.

"There's an ATM in the south corner, which means..." Steve replied.

"Cameras." Pietro's voice startled the both of them. It had been a long time since they had heard him speak.

"Both cross streets one way?"

"So compromise the escape routes." Steve began. "Means our guy doesn't care about being seen he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that ranger over half way up the block."

"You mean the red one. It's cute." Wanda replied. She took a sip of tea, trying to blend in.

"It's also bullet proof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody, probably us." Natasha said

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" Wanda stated.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become a second nature." Natasha scolded.

"Anybody ever tell you, you're a little paranoid." Sam's voice came over the coms. Pietro had almost forgotten that he had been listening to their conversation.

"Not to my face. Why, did you hear something?" Natasha said sarcastically.

"Eyes on target, folks. It's the best lead we have on Rumlow in 6 months. I don't want to lose him." Steve reminded them.

"If he sees us coming there won't be a problem, he kind of hate us." Sam scoffed.

"Sam, see that garbage truck? Tag it." Steve ordered.

"Give me X-ray. Max capacity. The truck's loaded for max weight, and the driver's armed." Sam reported. "It's a battling ram."

"Go now." Steve ordered.

"Why?" Wanda questioned.

"He's not aiming the police." Pietro picked Wanda up, speeding off as Natasha went for the motorbike.

"Steve, where is he headed?" Natasha asked. Pietro stopped in the middle of a crowded market, waiting for instructions.

"The Centre for Infectious Diseases." Pietro started speeding off again, running up next to Steve, who got dropped off by Sam.

"Body armour. AR15s I make 7 hostiles." Steve reported, after taking some HYDRA agent out.

"I make 5." Sam said.

"Sam." Wanda called, using her abilities to lift another agent into the air. Sam swopped down, knocking the guy to the ground.

"Four. Rumlow's on the third floor." He told Steve, who turned to Wanda.

"Wanda. Just like we practiced." He told her.

"What about the gas?" She asked.

"Get it out." Wanda used her powers to lift Steve up and into the third floor. Once he was inside, Wanda changed tactics, using her powers to pull the gas out and send it up into the air.

"Rumlow has a biological weapon." Steve reported.

"I'm on it." Natasha said, the sounds of a motorbike engine roaring in the background.

"He's in the main Humvee heading north." Steve told Sam, who targeted the van.

"I got 4, they're splitting up." Sam said. Pietro started running towards the four, Sam trailing behind from the sky.

"I got the two on the left." Natasha said

"He ditched the gear. It's a shell game now. One of them has the payload." Steve said, the sound of a crunch following. Rumlow found him, Pietro realised. He then refocused, taking out the HYDRA agents quickly. He searched their suits, finding nothing.

"He doesn't have it. I'm empty." Pietro told the team.

"Out of the way! Look out!" Natasha yelled, pushing past people.

"Payload secured. Thanks, Sam." Natasha reported, making Pietro sigh in relief.

"Don't thank me." Sam replied.

"I'm not thanking that thing." She said.

"His name is Redwing." He informed.

"I'm still not thanking it." Natasha replied.

"He's cute. Come on, pet 'em." Pietro had run over to Wanda while Natasha and Sam were arguing. He picked her up, running over to where Steve was to help.

"This is for dropping a building on my face. I think it look pretty good, all things considered." Rumlow said, on his knees in front of Steve.

"Who's your buyer?" Steve demanded, as the twins ran up behind him.

"He knew we knew you. You pal, your buddy, your Bucky." Rumlow taunted, his head lolling around as Steve held onto his collar.

"What did you say?" Steve asked, his hand relaxing slightly. Pietro tensed as he watched Steve's guard go down. This was how it happened last time.

"He remembered you. I was there. He got all weepy about it. Till they put his brain back in the blender. He wanted you to know something. He said to me, "Please tell Rogers," "When you got to go, you got to go." And you're coming with me." Rumlow said, pressing a button by his suit. Pietro's eyes widened as an explosion started. Wanda was quick to act, containing the explosion with her powers. She lifted Rumlow up into the sky, but lost control of him. He crashed into the side of a building. Pietro quickly ran into the burning building, trying to save as many people as he could.

"Oh my... Sam. We need... Fire and rescue, on the south side of the building. We got to get up here." Pietro barely heard Steve's voice over to coms as he rushed countless men and women out of the building. Maybe if he could save one more person then maybe, just maybe the universe would give him Eleven back.