9

"I miss you"

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred." The reporter said on the screen. Wanda watched it, Pietro sitting next to her, his arms loosely wrapped around her.

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only the cause of the actions are criminals but by the indifference of those pledge to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all." King T'Chaka appeared on screen.

"The Wakanda king went on to... What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria?" The screen switched off and Pietro closed his eyes. They snapped back open when images of Sokovia began playing in his head. Breathing out, Pietro moved his hands, beginning to tap a tune without a melody.

"It's my fault," Wanda said, looking over to Steve, who stood in the doorway remote in hand.

"That's not true," Steve said, sitting on the bed next to her.

"Turn the TV back on, they're being very specific." She replied, turning back to the blank screen.

"I should've grabbed that bomb as I'm the leader to deal with it. Rumlow said 'Bucky' and... All of a sudden, I was a 16-year-old kid again in Brooklyn. People died." Steve said.

"It's on me."

"It's on both of us. This job... We try to save as many people as we can." Steve began, his eyes turning to Pietro. "Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody, but, we can't find a way to live with that, Next time... maybe nobody can be saved." Wanda nodded her head and turned to say something to him when Vision fazed through the wall.

"Vis, we talked about this." Wanda sighed.

"Yes. But the door was opened so I assumed..." Vision pointed towards the door but trailed off. "Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr Stark was arriving."

"Thank you. I'll be right down." Steve nodded, standing up.

"I'll... use the door." Vision said, pointing towards the door. He walked towards it before pausing and turning back to Steve. "Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

"You know who it is?"

"The secretary of State."

Pietro sat next to Wanda at the table, looking down at his hands, which were tapping a rhythm.

"5 years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my batting swing. Turned out, it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass." The Secretary began.

Pietro looked up at others, watching their expressions.

"I found something 40 years in the army never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You've... fought for us. Protected us. Risked your lives. While a great many people see you as heroes. There are some... would prefer the word "vigilantes.""

"And what word would you use, Mr Secretary," Natasha said, and Pietro turned to look at the redhead.

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignores sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind them? New York. Washington DC. Sokovia. Lagos." He moved to the screen, and videos appeared on the screen. Pietro grabbed Wanda's hand, as Lagos appeared on the screen.