THIRTEEN

Weariness plagued Mother Mildred as she returned to her home. Serena had been a sweet and caring neighbor for the past two decades. Having few true friends herself, the midwife was grieved to say farewell to the quiet woman who she had counted as a friend.

More than ever, she felt a pressing urgency to complete Ariane's training. The midwife knew it was a matter of time before her recurring vision of almost twenty years became truth. Pushing Ariane to finish her apprenticeship would help the younger woman stay busy and move forward with her grief. As much as Mother Mildred hated leaving Ariane with Edric, she had arrangements to finalize before she could join her grieving apprentice. She had trusted that Edric would do nothing to upset Ariane during this trial of sorrow.

Entering the hut, the elder woman expected to find Edric tending a fire at the hearth while Ariane rested. Instead, the stunned girl sat in the old rocker before a dying firelight. The room was chilled but Ariane did not seem to notice.

Alarmed, Mother Mildred questioned the grief-stricken girl gently, "Ariane? Where is Edric?"

Ariane turned slowly toward her mentor revealing a face swollen and red from the tears she had shed. Unable to speak, she gestured weakly toward the door. Struggling to clear her dry throat, she managed a weak response. "He has gone."

Mother Mildred was shocked. The boy could not be trusted with a simple task. "I should have told that boy to stay with you. He has the sense of one of his...."

With no realization that she was interrupting, Ariane said, "I said 'yes'."

Mother Mildred halted her diatribe against Edric. Surely she misheard. "What did you say?"

"Edric asked me to marry him and I said 'yes'." Ariane broke into another round of heart-rending sobs. "I broke my promise to Mother!"

Mother Mildred stood frozen inside the doorframe. Of all of the absurd things to happen to the poor child on this day, the poultryman proposed marriage during her most vulnerable time. Moving into the room, she removed her worn woolen cloak as she stated, "Well! I will certainly have a few words for Master Edric. We must wait to see what happens. He cannot expect you to plan a wedding while you are in mourning."

Through her tears, Ariane whispered, "He said his sister would plan it."

Of course she would! Mother Mildred had no doubts about who was behind Edric's actions. Louisa had raised for her younger brother, dictating his every move since the death of their parents. The midwife should have known the domineering sister would plot her sibling's course to obtain a wife: she had recognized the gleam in Louisa's eyes when she met the caring, young woman assisting with her illness. A lovely young girl of marriageable age without suitors would be a perfect match for her simple-minded brother who knew more about caring for poultry than interacting with humans.

Mother Mildred swallowed her anger. The poor child did not need any type of regret right now. "How thoughtful! Well, Child, we will have to deal with that later. For now, you must rest."

Stoking the fire and placing the kettle on to boil, the older woman helped Ariane prepare for bed, before brewing chamomile tea with mint to help the girl sleep. Tucking the exhausted girl in, the midwife stroked the golden curls until she finally drifted to sleep. She loved the young woman as if she had given birth to her. At eight and sixty, her life was nearing completion. With no children of her own, this child would have to carry on her legacy.

Weary but unable to rest, Mother Mildred removed the corded sash from her waist and laid it over the girl's covering. A blue glow filled the small space, providing a healing light and warmth for the sleeping young woman. The midwife was reassured with the belt's response: Ariane was the intended recipient.