TWENTY-THREE

The spacious bed chamber grew more oppressive by the day. Pain had become a constant companion, as was the racking cough which now produced green sputum with traces of blood. His usual high energy was depleted simply by getting out of bed to gaze out the window.

Derrik felt Eleanor's presence as she waited patiently for him to join her. He was more than willing to do so; however, there were details he needed to take care of first. Kellan needed to hurry. One could only be expected to keep a promise to remain among the living for a reasonable amount of time.

As Kronprinz, Derrik was the one who typically travelled for extended periods. This was one of the few times that Kellan had been gone for more than a couple of weeks without the elder prince by his side. Two weeks ago his strength would have permitted a trip to the stable to greet his brother. Now he was forced to wait and watch for the younger man's return from the confines of his chambers.

His vigil was now rewarded. In the distance, he saw two figures emerge from the surrounding forest to approach the palace gates. One was astride the unmistakable Boris.

Even from a distance, Derrik sensed something was wrong. Kellan was at home on horseback, riding with ease and grace. This man sat favored his left side. The hooded companion reached over to steady his brother in the saddle.

Derrik forgot all but mounting concern for Kellan. A litany of curses filled the chamber for the illness that kept him from going to his brother as he anxiously watched the pair enter the courtyard. The Prinz slid from Boris and turned to help his companion. As she dismounted, the hood fell back revealing a woman's face.

Derrik inhaled sharply; she was stunning.

Kellan held on to her waist a second longer than necessary. Just as Derrik became concerned that his brother had forgotten to be a gentleman, Kellan released her and respectfully placed her hand on his arm. His brother led her from the exposed courtyard into the stable and out of sight. Even at a distance Derrik could see the heart connection between this young woman and Kellan.

Derrik leaned against the window for support. A pleased grin mingled with concern. He had joked that the healer might be a beautiful, young woman; one that Kellan might find irresistible. For his teasing to become reality presented a more complicated situation than any of them anticipated.

Whirling thoughts were interrupted by a return of the spasmodic coughing which signaled his nurse to rush into the room. "Your Highness! You have been out of bed long enough. You must save your strength for when the healer comes."

His legs were more likely to land him on the floor than transport him to the bed. The guard assigned to assist the overbearing woman supported his weight and led him back to the bed, while the nurse chided him with an endless litany of admonishments. Over the past two weeks, much to his chagrin, the motherly woman had become indispensable. Now she tucked him into his bed like a child with a hot cup of broth which he did not want.

Derrik waited for the woman to depart before answering to no one in particular, "There is time enough for me to spend in bed." He glanced at the clear sky outside of his window before adding, "An eternity."