FORTY-ONE

Everything had changed in the month he had been away; or more likely Kellan was the one who had changed. The afternoon activities of the villagers halted as he approached. He made no effort to remain hidden or disguised as was his usual custom. Many bowed and greeted him with the respect accorded the Kronprinz while others stared in curious disbelief.

That title officially fell to him now although it was not one he desired. In his mind, Derrik would always be Kronprinz and Kellan would be free to come and go as he pleased. However, if he agreed to fulfill the role, he would insist on changing some of the rules. Tradition and expectation be damned.

Kellan had searched for another way to face the challenges before him. Finding none, he made a plan. His luncheon with Father Johannes told him nothing he had not anticipated. The priest had no knowledge of the prophecy but provided information regarding current affairs. The prince had left the rectory with much to consider and a promise from the priest to notify Kellan immediately of any emergent needs.

Messages had arrived via Hugo every few days with information. In Kellan's absence, Rorik was faced with blatant attempts to overthrow the throne. While Derrik and Kellan had discovered and dismantled many before coming to fruition, the ruler was discovering the extent of his sons' contributions in keeping the royal line safe from usurpers. Despite the threats, the king continued to have little awareness of Lucien's plots. One thing was clear: for the future of his family and the safety of his people, Kellan could not abandon his father to those who meant harm.

By moving with slow deliberation in open view, he gave the court time to get word of his arrival and assemble in the Grand Hall. It was in that place that the public disintegration of his relationship with his father had been witnessed. It would now be where the future of that relationship, as well as that of the Krone, would be established.

Kellan offered prayers for guidance and noted the spirits assembled near the Grand Hall. As he approached the doors, he was met by a familiar female ghost. Although he met her only once shortly after her death, the shade of Mother Mildred was firmly etched in his memory.

"Dear woman, your presence is welcome in these halls." He knew she had expended much energy to arrive at the palace to support and protect her former apprentice. His invitation would lessen her burden.

"Thank you, Your Highness. Ariane is blessed in many ways."

Pleased to meet the spirit's expectations, he continued his path to the throne room. Kellan felt the presence of Derrik, Eleanor and his mother watching his every move. Their approval of his choices gave hope. It was now up to him to gain that same approval from the living.

Two soldiers stood at the doors and promptly heaved them open as he approached. As expected the room was filled with members of the court, soldiers and servants, all morbidly curious and excited to watch the dramatic events unfold.

His father sat on his throne in his usual, stoic manner. Kellan could see the beloved spirits of his family standing near the right side of the throne. He thought it ironic that this marked the first time his entire family was in the same room in his lifetime.

Kellan instantly realized he needed to amend that thought; his wife was not present. He offered a brief prayer that Ariane would soon be permitted to stand by his side as his Prinzessin.

Two spirits stood apart from the fold to the left of the throne. His mentor had always guided him, but the arrival of his ghostly lady had changed his priorities. Now they stood together to protect the interests of their daughter. Kellan hoped the pair could see that was his primary goal as well, and in turn supported him and his mission.