III

M E R C E D E S

"I wish you'd listen to me" Chris told me over the phone

"I told you, I'll be fine, plus I'm only going for a few hours, I have papers to write" I assured him

"..... I don't know I don't like it, you barely know those people, you shouldn't be going out with them, not this soon" his voice full of doubt spoke

I laughed "Who's the big sibling?" I asked dying out now

"You might be older, but shiiiit you be making some bad decisions"

I frowned "Christopher, calm down, I'll be okay, trust me" I told him as India walked in "Look I gotta go , love you"

"Okay be caref-" I hung up before he could finish his sentence

"Who was that? You're lil boyfriend from home?" India asked, stuffing her face with McDonald's fries

"That was my little brother, I have to make sure he's good"

"Well it sounded the other way around, how old is he?" She asked sitting down next to me on the couch

"Seventeen, he's turning eighteen in July"

"Awwwe, is he still in school?"

"He's a senior, he's going to USC in the fall,-" I was cut off by my phone ringing

I looked to see who it was, my day getting instantly better "Hey mommy"

"Hi honey, am I interrupting something?"

I instantly shook my head "No no not at all, Why?"

"No reason, I just can't wait until tomorrow, I know you got big on me, it's been almost six years since I was able to hold my baby girl, now I wish Christopher would come around"

When my mom left she wanted to take Chris and I with her, but we wanted to stay with our dad, but that didn't stop her from calling once a week, and sending things for the holidays and our birthdays, Chris was young when my mom left, and he feels like mom abandoned him, and wants nothing to do with her, while I was older and more understanding, I mean yeah it sucks not having your mom around everyday but life's tough right?

"He will, mom, you need to give him time"

"I sure hope so, by his graduation, I want to be there, how's my baby boy doing?"

"Honestly mom, he's so smart, he got accepted into USC full ride scholarship, he's had nothing but straight A's since freshman year"

"That's my boy, that's what I want from both of you, you guys are living the lives I want for y'all, you know it wasn't easy being pregnant at 18, Your dad and I we didn't know what to do he was the wide receiver for ucla, and he gave up his dream for y'all, I do know he doesn't regret it"

"Mom I know I heard the story 100 times, you played volleyball you got pregnant with me yadda yadda"

"That's what you think, but enough of all of that, and more about you, you met any boys yet?"

I laughed "Uh no, mom it's only my second week"

"Wow, you haven't went to those college parties or anything?"

"Well mother if you must know, I'm going to a party tonight with my roommates"

"Oh my god! Mercedes, I never thought I'd hear those words come from you"