Chapter 3

With her hands in her pocket, Ziggy began walking home from work, as the heavy clouds hung over her head. She kept walking, staring down at the rest of her body. With her hood down, her neck was filled with chills, as the wind blew on to her pixie cut. She stared down at the ground, remembering all of the comments from the other girls in school. Ziggy's real name was Alice, and she was a girl. She never felt that way. She always felt like a boy, as if she were in the wrong body. She adapted the name Ziggy, since it was a boy's name. She had her name legally changed just two years before. She underwent plastic surgery to make her breasts smaller, and she cut her hair so it was short. Some people thought it was wrong of her to want to look like a boy, especially since she was born a girl. Others supported her. Despite other's opinions, she went through what she did to make herself happy. Ziggy was a strong supporter of the transgender community, not just because she was transgender, but because she knew what they went through. Ziggy was walking home, until she stopped in front of a fence that oversaw a bunch of middle school students playing outside. She noticed two eighth grade girls holding hands and soon kissing one another. She at first considered that they were only 13-14, but she then remembered how hard living in her town, especially under the newly formed laws, really was. She smiled a small bit, as the two students exchanged thoughtful glances at each other. The lovely moment was ruined when the first girl turned around, as one of the boys threw a dodge ball straight at her face. She fell backwards, and grabbed her nose, clearly in pain. Her girlfriend rushed to her aid. The teacher monitoring the grounds didn't even care, he just watched. The boys began verbally assaulting both girls, as the two comforted one another. Ziggy had enough. She shouted at the boy. She began climbing the fence, and jumped to the other side. She walked quickly over to the boy, shouting at him.
"Was that really necessary, young man?! Huh!? Was that funny?!" She was fuming.
"Do you think that was okay?! Hm? You think it's okay to assault anyone you want?"
"Well, yeah." The boy said, slightly ashamed.
"Oh, okay." Ziggy pushed the boy, causing him to take a few steps back.
"What the hell was that for?!"
"You said you could assault anyone you wanted, so why can't I?"
"I had a reason to hit that girl!"
"And why's that?"
"Cause she was breaking the law!"
"Are you a cop?"
"No! But-!"
"Strange. A stowaway dressing like you reminds me of this one friend I had who was on Jury Duty and missed his fifth grade graduation because of it."
"You're a bitch!"
"Yes, I am. What else are you gonna call me? A lesbo? A fag? A dyke? A liar? A fake? A whore? A bastard? Come on, say it. You're talking to a stone wall, kid."
The student noticed the teacher walk over.
"Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to get off of the property, or else I will have to call the police."
"Hold on," Ziggy said, gesturing to the teacher.
"I understand you like to be a, *ahem*, "good guy" but do you really think people like me and those two girls are bad guys?"
"Ma'am-"
"I don't care who you think is right- especially that goddamn president of ours. He's ruining everybody's lives. Where does your grandma live?"
"In Iraq."
"Do miss her?"
"To death."
"Ma'am-"
"It's sir."
"Miss, you are female-"
"No, I wish to be addressed as a boy. So you'll call me sir. Well, your SOL kid."
"SOL?"
"Shit outta luck. Thanks to Mr. Greedman, anyone born or living in any of the eastern countries are no longer allowed into the country."
"What?!"
"Ma'am-"
"Sir. It's sir. Do you wanna make art when you grow up, kid?"
"Yeah..."
"Psht, throw it in the trash. The funds for our art society have been cut."
"Ma'am."
"It's sir, goddamn it! I am a boy!"
"You're a woman!"
"Fuck you!"
"Ma'am-"
Ziggy couldn't stop herself. She faced the teacher and smacked him across the cheek as hard as she could, and shouted at him.
"I am a fucking boy! Instead of teaching children to hate and discriminate those who are different, teach them how to accept those who are different!" She looked around at the kids surrounding her. They were middle school students.
"All of you should learn from this. I'm transgender, and so is my sister! I'm not going to sit back and watch you be taught these awful things! I'm looking at all of you, and all of you are white. So am I, but why aren't African Americans allowed into public schools? Why aren't those who are Asian allowed to learn? Why are Mexicans paying for the wire fences that being put up down by Texas?! Why aren't they allowed to come into America?! Why are we ruining society?! Stop all of the hate! You should not have to be afraid of being gay, transgender, different, black, Asian, Mexican, white, disabled or what have you! You deserve to be loved. Take this as a lesson." Ziggy finished. The police sirens went off, as they parked outside of the wire gates surrounding the playground. They came out, guns aimed. They walked towards Ziggy who slowly put her hands up, as the cops arrested her. The students watched, contemplating how they had been acting under the new laws. Had they really hurt so many people? All of the students began to cry, as they watched Ziggy step into the police car.