CHAPTER 6

"Neji! Let us go put our youth on the line once again in the burning heat of youth!" Rock Lee pumped his fist in the air, "as Guy Sensei is helping to rebuild the town entrance and rebuild the buildings, we have absolutely nothing better to do!"

"For goodness sake, Lee. We just got back, half the town's in ruins, and you want to go out and train?!" Tenten groaned in disbelief, "I really can't believe you..."

"Tenten is right. We should take it easy." Neji Hyuga agreed with his teammate.

"Hey, Neji! Tenten! Lee!"

The sound of Naruto's voice gave Lee energy, "Naruto! Let's do some training! Maybe a race up the Hokage faces! Or perhaps a ramen-eating--"

Sakura shook her head, "Sorry, Lee. We're here to talk to Neji regarding the explosion at the village."

Lee's head fell and he sighed loudly, "I understand."

"Why me, exactly?" Neji questioned.

"Because you can possibly give us information on the man that attacked the village." Sasuke explained, "the guy that set the threat on the village almost an hour or two ago was named Hotatsu Hyuga. Does that name ring any bells?"

"Hm..." Neji crossed his arms as he tried to remember the name. As he did, his gaze stopped on the two unfamiliar faces from behind Naruto, "who's this?"

Naruto smiled brightly, "you'll never believe it! This is Boru--"

"Boru Uzu." Boruto immediately cut off, "from... Another village."

Naruto looked at Boruto with confusion, "what are you doing?"

Boruto only shook his head and pursed his lips, "I'll explain later."

"Uh, and I'm Sara Uchi." Sarada lied.

"Uchi and Uzu?" Neji rose an eyebrow.

"Mhm." Sasuke crossed his arms and looked away.

"Shanaroo..." Sakura blushed.

"Uh, Sakura? You okay?" Tenten asked her, genuinely concerned.

"Uh-huh..." Sakura fanned her face with her hand, "anyways, anything?"

"I don't recall... Wait." Neji nodded, "Hotatsu. He's a close family friend, calls himself a Hyuga."

"He's a family friend? How long have you known him?" Naruto asked.

"I've never heard of him before..." Boruto shook his head.

"We met him not too long ago, actually. A month or two." Neji shrugged, "you're saying he's the one behind all of this?"

"Yes. He's the one that posed the threat in person." Sakura explained, "so we're marking him down as a main suspect."

"Thanks, Neji." Naruto smiled as he grabbed Boruto's wrist and dragged him away, "what happened back there?"

"I couldn't tell him we come from the future." Boruto looked down at the ground, "this is actually the first time I've ever met Uncle Neji in person."

"What? Why?"

Boruto was silent for a few seconds before his voice dropped, "In the future... There's a war. A huge war. And... If it weren't for Uncle Neji, you,
mom, and even I wouldn't be here right now."

"What? Are you saying..." Naruto looked back at Neji, "he's..."

Boruto silently nodded, "meeting him here like this, I never realized I'd get to. But if he found out that we're from the future, we'd be forced to tell him that we never knew him because he's dead."

"Wow..." Naruto whispered, "someone as skilled as him... Why would he do that just for me?"

"He didn't do it just for you. He also did it because Mom had run in to save you, first. Then he saved both of you."

"Hinata... Saved me?"

"Yeah." Boruto nodded.

"I can't even imagine..." Naruto felt tears sting his eyes, then rubbed them to hide any evidence, "never mind that. We need to go find Hotatsu."

Sasuke, Sakura, and Sarada ran up to the two, "we found their location."

"We need to get going." Naruto told Boruto, "where are they?"

"Not too far fro the borders of the Hidden Leaf." Sasuke replied, "A hidden hideout."

"They have a different chakra signature." Sakura explained, "if we can track their unfamiliar signature, then we can get to them easily."

"Do we have anyone that can do that?" Boruto asked.

"Hinata!" Naruto smiled, "we can go get Hinata! She can use her Byakugan to sense it! That's perfect! I'll go get her!"

"Naruto, you get the team over there. Then I'll get someone to tell Hinata to meet you outside the village." Shizune instructed as she turned to the ANBU.

"Okay. Sasuke, Sakura, Boruto, Sarada, let's go!" Naruto pumped his fist in the air as he started running.

"I never realized my dad was this enthusiastic..." Boruto murmured.

"I love it!" Sarada laughed as they followed close behind.

____________________________

"You..." Naruto wheezed as he tried to catch his breath, "m-my chakra..."

"Don't even bother wasting your energy." Hotatsu smirked, "Boss stopped your chakra flow. But don't worry. Not forever. At least not until we extract you."

Naruto breathes heavily, "extract me?"

"Yep."

"Where..." Naruto coughed as he tried to yank his hands out of his restraints, "where are Sasuke and Sakura?"

"Oh don't worry." Hotatsu chuckled, "your friends are alive. For now."

"Look, if it's me you're after, let them go!" Naruto yelled.

"Well you see, Uzumaki, Boss and I need--"

"Hotatsu. Enough."

Naruto's eyes widened at the sound of Hotatsu's boss' voice.

"Oi, sorry." Hotatsu coughed and stepped aside.

"Y-you..." Naruto muttered, "no, it can't be... You... You died..."

The man chuckled as he walked closer to him and closer to the stream of light, "I did, didn't I?"

"Then what are you doing here?! And helping this guy?!"

"Actually, Hotatsu is helping me. In fact, he's the one in thanking, as he's the one that revived me."

"No..." Naruto gritted his teeth, "you're lying!! You can't be him!!"

"But I am." The man chuckled.

"Prove it." Naruto ordered, "come into the light."

The man laughed, but sighed, "as you wish."

With that, he slowly stepped forward so that he was standing face to face with Naruto.

"No..." Naruto stared in horror as Neji's reflection appeared in his tear-filled eyes.