PROLOGUE

"I thought you were done with cheating... You said you had 'changed' not too long ago..."

"I know, I know. But this isn't cheating."

Boruto Uzumaki and Sarada Uchiha snuck through the Hokage's estate on the night of the new year.

"Why couldn't we have stayed down with Mitsuki and everyone else? Why tonight of all nights to do this?!" Sarada groaned, "and how did I get roped into helping you with this?"

"Okay." Boruto cleared his throat, "we're doing this tonight because with the festival and all, my dad is too busy and preoccupied to notice anything's wrong. And you're helping me because out of anyone I could choose from, you're the only one I can trust to not spill anything.

Sarada crossed her arms, "oh really? Inojin?"

"Too innocent. He'd rat me out."

"Shikadai?"

"He wouldn't even hesitate to tell his old man, who's also got closer connections with my dad." 

"Himawari?"

"Too loud."

"... Chouchou?"

"Too... You know why."

"Okay, okay. Fine. What about Mitsuki?"

"He's keeping watch... And because he's too suspicious most of the time. Not to mention he sometimes gives me the creeps."

"Ah..." Sarada rolled her eyes once they finally reached the Hokage's office, "so do you even know what you're looking for?"

"Uncle Kakashi..." Boruto murmured as he scanned through a shelf of scrolls, "when I asked him how my dad did it..."

"Huh?" Sarada tilted her head, "how he did what?"

Boruto snickered and thought back to the day before...

"Hey, Uncle Kakashi!"

Kakashi Hatake looked up from his book, "hm?"

"How did my dad do it?"

"Do what?"

"Learn to make all those shadow clones?"

Kakashi shut his book, leaned his head back, and dazed, remembering the old Naruto from the past, "oh, that? It's not that hard. If you want me to teach you, I can--"

"No, no! I don't mean a few or five. I mean, like, his multi-shadow clone jutsu! I wanna learn that!"

Kakashi looked shocked, "you want to learn that?! That's a forbidden jutsu!"

"So my dad learned a forbidden jutsu?" Boruto crossed his arms, "since when was my dad a rule breaker?!"

"Look." Kakashi put his hand on Boruto's shoulder, "you'd be surprised if I told you your dad was exactly the same as you are now."

"What?"

"Reckless."

Boruto was speechless as Kakashi got up to leave, "hey, wait! Wait! Where can I find this forbidden jutsu?"

"A scroll hidden away in his office." Kakashi replied as he opened his book, continued reading, and started walking away.

"What does it... Wait come back! Gah!" Boruto kicked the dirt ground in frustration, "guess I'll have to find it myself..."

...

"And I found out it's in my dad's office!"

"You've gotta be kidding..." Sarada sighed, "fine, let's just get this over with."

"Hm..." Boruto scanned through the shelves of scrolls and jutsu, "what does it look like... Uncle Kakashi never said anything about what it looks like..."

"Of course he didn't. He's not dumb, unlike you."

"Hm?" Boruto picked a scroll that stood out from the rest. It had a red rim and a warning on the seal, "heh-heh, if there's a warning, then it must be something really special." Without another thought, he broke the seal and rolled the scroll open.

"What does it say?"

"It's... Hey! It's a time-space jutsu! I've never heard of this style before."

Sarada read over his shoulder, "Time-Space Style... Is this even real?"

"It must be new..." Boruto shrugged, "here, you help me."

"What? Why?"

"It needs two Shinobi to do this." Boruto pointed at the image on the scroll. There were four empty spaces for two pairs of hands, "put your hands on the empty hand prints on that side. I'll be on this side.

"Okay..." Sarada did as she was told, pressing the palms of her hands against the parchment, Boruto doing the same.

"Now..." Boruto shut his eyes, "put all your chakra into the scroll... And..."

Sarada shut her eyes and nodded as the parchment started glowing with chakra.

"Now." Boruto opened his eyes, "Time-Space Alteration Jutsu!"

A blinding light flashed in the Hokage's office, and as soon as the light cleared, Boruto and Sarada were gone.