Chapter 24- Lexie

The Christmas displays still decorated the windows of the department's stores on Fifth Ave and crowds flocked the stores searching for holiday sales.

"Let's go in here, "Chris said pulling me into a tall brick building. "My mother always made me shop with her here. I haven't been here in years."

"Do you know where you are going?" I asked as we went to the back of the store.

"I think so. I used to sit in a dressing room and drink Root Beer while my mom tried on dresses for hours. I want to see if it's still here." He opened a door revealing glamorous displays of evening gowns.

"Wow, I don't think we can afford this Chris," I said pulling him back into the elevator.

"Humor me," he said leading me towards the displays.

"Can I help you?" An older woman dressed in a gray dress to match her hair and eyes approached.

"Yes, we need a party dress for this lovely lady," Chris replied.

She circled me as if evaluating my body and smiled. "I think I have the perfect dress. Follow me."

She led us to the back of the store and pointed to a mannequin wearing a skimpy black dress. It was perfect for someone like Kate, but not me. "I'm not sure that's my style."

I looked at the dress with no price tag and asked. "How much is it?"

"Don't worry about the cost," Chris responded.

The gray-haired woman replied, "We'll look it up after you try it on. Come with me." She opened a heavy wooden door revealing a large crystal chandler in the middle of a white plush carpeted room.

She pointed to a chair in the corner. "You can have a seat here," she said to Chris before leading me down a hallway. "Go ahead, dear. Let me know what you think of it."

As she left the room, I stared at the intimidating dress hanging on the wall. The slender-fitting black dress shimmered from the chandelier, mocking me. I rubbed my hand over the soft fabric imagining what it would feel like on my skin. I could never afford a dress like this, as I looked at the slinky diamond straps on the back.

"What the hell," I said to myself and stepped out of my jeans and sweater.

The dress slipped over my head and clung to my body as if it were made for me. The neckline matched the plunging back which formed a V, ending just above my tail bone. The tiny straps were the only thing holding the dress in place.

A push-up bra was built into the dress, however, when I turned to the side it gave an illusion of my breast were unprotected. It was a beautiful dress but too sexy for me, even though it was the most comfortable and complimentary dress I had ever worn.

I stepped out of the dressing room to humor Chris and paused listening to the clerk's conversation.

"I thought I recognized you. I remember you sitting in that same spot drinking a soda while your mom tried on dresses. I've seen her here a few times and often wondered what became of you."

I chuckled listening to his response. "That was me. I would never admit to my friends I shopping with my mom, but I loved coming here."

Interrupting their conversations, I stepped into the sitting room. "I think it's a little too revealing. Do you have something else?"

Chris stared and stuttered, "It's perfect Lexie."

"I think you found your dress for the ball," the woman smiled. "Should I wrap it up for you?"