Chapter 47 - Changing For You

*NOT EDITED*

Chapter 47

---

The automatic, glass doors slid open and we stepped in. The sound of intercom calling out codes and squeaky wheelchairs moving welcomed us. A nurse hurried by us, the papers in her hand whirring from her speed and a few seconds later, more people surrounding a patient on a gurney sped by us. The place smelled like every hospital I ever went to — disinfectants, hospital cafeteria food, and sick people. I hated it. It was nothing like the way they described it in Grey's Anatomy.

We walked up to the front desk where an Asian receptionist was sitting. She smiled warmly when we greeted her.

"Where can I find Benjamin Adams? He's been turned in just today."

Her gaze turned back to the computer in front of her as she looked for his room. She nodded before looking back to us.

"Room 414."

"Thank you."

We hurried to the elevator along with a couple other people. I jammed my thumb on the button and waited as the large, cubic, elevator lifted us slowly to the floor.

This floor was decorated differently than the ground floor. It was the pediatric part of the hospital with cheerier, blue, green, and white colored walls and simple paintings of princesses, cars, and whatnot.

We were about to walk to Benjamin's room on the right, but the floor's receptionist called us.

"Can I know who you're visiting?"

"Benjamin Adams, room 414," I said impatiently.

"Are you family?"

"No," Drake and I said in unison.

"Then, I'm sorry. You can't visit him." She smiled apologetically before looking back to the papers she was holding.

"We have to," Drake replied urgently, " and we need to be back in less than an hour."

"I wish I could help, but only family members are allowed to enter his room."

"Why?" I asked exasperatedly.

"Because he just came out of surgery."

"We'll just quickly check on him," I said determinedly.

The middle-aged receptionist was starting to get annoyed and impatient. "You can't do that either."

"Look, I'm not leaving this hospital without-"

"Ash?"

I turned around to see Ryder standing a few feet away. I was too shocked by his appearance to have answered him back.

His face had different shades of blue on his cheeks and a busted lip. The other eye was also slightly swollen but it didn't look like it was the effect from the fight, it looked like he was crying a lot. His hair was also messy and ruffled.

"What are you guys doing here?"

"We're here to check on Benjamin, but she won't let us in."