Chapter One

The Bender Games

By: Holly and Alli

Chapter 1: Providence 5

         The world was never this way before. There was once a time when we all lived in peace and harmony. All the different benders from different places got along. There never seemed to be any problems. People talked things out, they helped one another. There were no wars, there were no fights. Only compromise. People could come and go when they pleased, even travel or see the world. The little things were appreciated, and there were good times in the world. There was nothing to fear or hate.

         I don't remember a time like that. I was only three when everything changed. People got angry. And eventually, all the peace was torn. But it wasn't because of the bending. It was due to the ones who couldn't bend. It seemed as if some did not like having normal around. So they asked for answers. Only the Emperor could tell us those answers, and he did. He had a talk with the spirits that lasted five long months. When he finally emerged from his palace, was when everything took a turn for the worse.

         It was decreed from that day forth that all non-benders would be forced to work as slaves for those superior to them. But in order for this to happen, the benders had to do something in return. They would have to sacrifice four of their young, all having their own element, to fight to the death. But only four contestants of water, earth, fire and air would simply not do. More were needed.

         So from then on forth, the world was divided into eight provinces, and each would have to give up four contestants to fight in the bender games: A contest where you stand, thirty two against one. Only two make it out alive.

         And the contestants are being picked later today.

         I sit in the small space we call the dining room, and stare at the bowl of pudding in front of me. My spoon swirls around in circles, making a whirl pool in the light brown mixture my dad calls food. He has never been a great cook, which is why I have been grateful to be the chef in this household. But this morning, I was unsuccessful in beating my father to the stove.

         My little brother Cameron sits next to me. He lifts up his spoon and sniffs the pudding. Then he jumps backward and gags. I roll my eyes. He is such a drama king.

         Dad reaches across the table and pats my hand. He knows his meal is not the real reason I am not eating. It is the Bender Games. I always get nervous before a drafting.

         My mother was a non-bender. So when the orders to remove any normals came, my father hid her as long as he could. Unfortunatly, they found her anyway. She was taken from us when I was only seven, which was a good ten years ago. So whenever I think of my name being pulled from that blue, glassy bowl, I can't help but cringe. If I die in that arena, my dad will be alone with Cam.

         "Ariel," Dad says.

         "Two more years, just two more years." I mutter. He attempts to let out a low chuckle, but in the end it fails. I have only two more draftings to go through before I am officially age-restricted. The ages you have to be in order to compete in the bender games are fourteen through eighteen. I am seventeen. So two more years to go. Although, it really isn't.

         Cam just turned fourteen yesterday. Now he is eligible to compete. I hope to spirits he does not get picked. I can't imagine that little scrawny, blue-eyed, scruffy-haired boy fighting other benders. Or even killing other benders. That is even worse. I cringe at the thought. I look at Cam from the corner of my eye and see that he looks completely composed. Although he may not seem it, I know he is a nervous wreck on the inside.