Chapter Twelve

The Bender Games

Chapter 12: Interviews Part Two.

    Even though I was done with my interview, that didn’t mean I didn’t want to see everyone elses. Even though I wished I could watch them back in the room, I had to wait for everyone else from my Providence to be done before I could go back. So Jo, Monica and I waited in the lobby for Dean and Axel. There was a Television in there too, where we got to see them on stage. I missed Dean’s when I was getting threatened by Eclipse, but I managed to catch the middle of Axel’s.

    Axel strode on stage like he was a movie star. And the crowd loved him. He kept his hair spiked up, which I was kind of happy about. His red shirt shimmered even more when all of the lights flashed on him. And above all, he was radiating a sort of laid-back attitude that was absolutely contagious. Seeing him walk on stage made the crowd seem more calmer, and it made me feel a little less anxious. But that’s just Axel. He’s always been like that.

    Brutus shakes Axel’s hand, and then the two sit down on the fluffy chairs. Axel leans back in his chair, his leg crossed over the other, and his arm rests against the back of the chair.

    “So Axel, how are you doing?” Brutus starts off, just like always.

    “I’ve been doing great.”

    “Well that’s good news! How was the trip up here? Was it okay?” Brutus asks, leaning in to get the dirt. Axel’s face turns as red as his shirt, and he nervously laughs.

    “Do you mean the trip to this building, or the trip to the capital?” Axel asks sheepishly. Brutus gets a weird look on his face, and then lets out what sounds like a mix between a laugh and a hiccup.

    “Both, I guess?” He says, unsure.

    Axel takes in a deep breath and makes an uneasy noise. If he is nervous on the inside, he is not showing it, because he has a big playful grin on his face.

    “Well, the train ride to the capital wasn’t all that bad. There was a lot of food, which was great, considering how much I can eat.” He then pats his stomach, and the audience laughs. I even smile a little bit. Brutus lets out a loud hearty laugh, and then calms down.

    “Well, a fellow needs his nutrition right?” He counters. Axel sees this as an opportunity to get another laugh, so he plays off Brutus’ comment.

    “Exactly! I’m a growing boy! I gotta have my eats!” He spreads his arms wide and lets his grin grow even twice that size. The audience gets a kick out of that, and they break out into thunderous laughter. Even Brutus seems to not be in control of his amusement. His face is turning red, and he slaps his knee.

    Axel then leans back in his chair again and folds his hands behind his head. He sits there quietly and takes in all of the cheer. Then Brutus finally calms down, and so does the crowd.

    “Okay, we know you liked the food, but what about the ride up here? Was that just as glamorous?” Then Axel takes in a breath and shakes his head. “No? Why is that?”

    “I was naked.” Axel says, his face turning bright red.

    The crowd gasps and laughs at the same time. Brutus jumps back and looks slightly shocked. “Excuse me?” He says, taken back. Axel then shakes his head and leans forward in his seat.

    “NO! Not like that! I had a robe on!” He blabbers, trying to cover up what he just said. Then Brutus makes a dramatic notion and places a hand on his heart while exhaling.

    “Oh thank the spirits. I was getting worried for you, kiddo.” Brutus says. But then he gets a skeptical look on his face and leans in towards Axel. “But, I am a little curious about this story…” He laughs. Axel laughs along with him, and he leans back in his chair again, he looks a little easier than before.