Chapter Seventeen

The Bender Games

Chapter 17: Let the Games begin

    I feel like I only have a second to take everything in. I only have a second to absorb the unrealistic fact that I am now in the Bender Games, and now, I fight for my life.

    I stand on my platform, and see the other contestants. All waterbenders wear apparel that looks similar to mine. The airbenders wear yellow shirts and khakis. Their jackets are orange, with yellow swirls to symbolize air. The earthbenders wear light green shirts and brown pants. Their jackets are camouflaged. The firebenders wear light red shirts and black pants. Their jackets are a deep - almost crimson - red with orange and yellow flames, that look so realistic, I thought a few of them were actually on fire.

    All of the contestants around me appear like they are ready to dive off their platforms. Some of them are eyeing different contestants, like they are choosing which one will die first. I can see Eclipse eyeing me from the other side of the circle that we stand in.

    In front of me is the centerpiece: the elementor. The elementor is a gray platform that is raised above the ground by four columns. On the top, there are four tubes on four corners. Each tube releases each element: fire, water, earth, and air. Then in the center, there is a ring. The ring has fire growing around it. In the center of the ring, water and earth float in circles due to the pressured air that keeps it in place. The piece stands forty feet tall, and is the symbol of the Bender Games. All around the structure, there are bags and weapons, all for the taking. They all look so tempting, but I remember what Benjamin said to me a few days ago, and turn my gaze behind me. We are surrounded by woods. I have never seen so many trees in one place in my entire life.

    Although the thick line of trees intimidates me, it is my only way of survival. I turn back to the elementor, and see the rocks and water now forming into the countdown. The clock now begins to tick.

    30

    I look around at the little goodies, and realize that I might need them to help me survive. I can’t rely on my water and my plant-finding skills forever.

    29

    I decide I am only going to take the bag closest to me, and get out of here as fast as I can.

    28

    Then, I am going to put as much distance between me, and that elementor.

    27

    But then what? I need a game plan. I scramble around my head to try to figure out what I am going to do once I am out of here.

    26

    I should find a spot where there is water, and use that as my camp.

    25

    Then I could hide around that spot, until they find me or I find them.

    24

    Or maybe I could find someone to help me.

    23

    I could form an alliance with someone. Someone I trust…

    22

    I know Benjamin said he couldn’t be in an alliance. But that doesn’t mean that if it came down to it, and if something happened to me, he wouldn’t help me. Because I know he would.

    21

    Or if he couldn’t, then maybe I could find someone else.

    20