Chapter Eight

The Bender Games

Chapter 8: Training Center Day Two

I decided to take Benjamin’s advice to stay away from the bending stations for a little bit, and wait until we were almost finished for the day. Even though I was dying to show these contestants what I could do, he was right. I didn’t need them thinking I was a huge threat.  I didn’t need anyone hunting me down when the games started.

I hang back in the obstacle course, waiting in line. I’m here by command, not choice. The trainers announced today that the game makers have been reviewing our practices, and now today will be the final day for them to judge us before they send out the final score to the audience this afternoon.

Now half of the contestants are waiting in line for their turn on the obstacle course. Everyone has to complete it in order for the game makers to fully understand your strengths and weaknesses.

Roxanne, the earthbender from providence four, is on the course right now, so that means I have only two more people ahead of me before it’s my turn.

The obstacle course takes up a whole section of the training section, and is made up of twists, turns, and climbing portions. There are tons of things you have to dodge, and if you fall, you get an F. The whole thing is suspended in the air, and you walk on a small balance beam-like rod. So it is way too easy to be pushed off that damn thing. I have seen nine out of fifteen people fall so far. That is very reassuring. Benjamin walked along like a pro, but that’s Benjamin.

Roxanne ducks under one of the poles that jumped out in front of her, only to be tumbled down by the shifting balance beam. The Buzzer lets out a loud ding, and then the next contestant is up. Amber takes her place on the starting part of the platform. The buzzer dings again, and off she goes.

I become slightly anxious as each contestant before me disappears. I tap my fingers against my leg and bite down on my lip as I think strategically about how I want to go through this. I should take my time and slowly go through the beams. I need to watch my footing and keep my balance, but also beware of any hazards approaching me. The buzzer beeps, and I realize that Jo has already gone, and now it is my turn. I gulp and take my first step on the platform. It lifts me up, and suspends me into the air, where then I have only a brief glimpse of the obstacles before me, and then the buzzer dings.

I don’t have control of myself when I dash forward. I remember telling myself to go slow and steady, so why am I not following my own advice right now? The beam lurches down at a slant. I skid to a halt, and wave my arms around to keep my balance. A pole juts out from behind me and whips my back, pushing me forward. I stumble, but then regain my footing, and slowly continue to make my way forward.

Sweat drips down my back. My heart beats violently in my chest. I keep my eyes peeled for any movement, but keeping them forward. Out of the corners of my eyes, I will be able to tell if something will be lurching at me. My feet numbly walk forwards, leading me across the beam. As I am moving forwards, my foot steps down on a panel. It lights up underneath my shoe, and an awful noise begins to erupt throughout the training center. I can see that the contestants who have already done the course are looking around the center, wondering where the noise came from.

I hear a groaning and creaking noise coming to my right. My head spins in that direction, noticing the black tubes pointed towards me. These don’t hold poles that just at you, though. I squint my eyes as I see a small orange light beginning to leak from the pipes. As soon as I know what they are, I crouch down on the beam and hold on with my arms and legs. Fire begins to spit out of the tubes, heating my back. If I stayed up one more second, I would have been toast before the games even started.