Chapter Four

The Bender Games

Chapter 4: Train Ride

         Once we were all in the Lounge Car, Monica began to lecture us about how to behave when we get to the Capital. When we arrive on the island, we have to be completely behaved from that point on, for we will be on camera. Monica even gave us a lesson on manners. I think I failed, but I didn’t care.

         It was about four in the afternoon when the draftings finally aired on the television. Everyone had placed in orders for dinner when the screen on the other side of the room began to flicker. We all got out of our seats and sat down on the surrounding couches to watch ourselves on TV.

         The first to air were the draftings from Providence One, the Mountain state, and one of the holders for strongest competitors, alongside Providence Two and Seven. As always, it went air, water, earth, and then fire. The first to be drafted was a small boy named Spencer, but was then volunteered by a seventeen year old named Mason. The next was a fifteen year old girl named Sapphire. After her, someone was volunteered by another girl named Geminite. The last one was a firebender named Midna. The two last girls were both fifteen years old.

         The next Providence to show their contestants was Providence Two, the Forest State. The airbender to represent was a fifteen year old girl named Ever. After her, the waterbender to represent was Eaden. He was only fourteen, and he looked very nervous. The next two who were drafted were volunteered. It is not uncommon for young contestants to be volunteered by older and stronger contestants from the strong providences. Most teenagers in the big three will train their whole lives for the games, but only two can come on top. So when a young earthbender and firebender were replaced, no one questioned it. The new earthbender’s name was Autumn, and the firebender was Augustus.

         Next, Providence Three, the seashore state, was drafting their contestants. A girl named Marine was drafted for airbending. A young boy named Aidan was drafted, but then someone volunteered. This was a surprise, for Providence Three isn’t part of the big three. The new contestant’s name was Benjamin Grey. When they put up his picture on the screen, I could have sworn I had seen him before, but that was impossible, so I shrugged it off. Then, the earthbender contestant was called up. His name was Gerard. The next was April, a sixteen year old firebender.

         From Providence Four, the desert state, the benders’ names were: Sarah, Blue, Roxanne, and Amber. Hardly any contestants from that providence ever win, so there was not a lot of footage.

         The screen then closed on to Providence Five.

         “Now this providence had a lot of excitement today,” The newscaster commented, “a heart-wrenching scene between siblings and an unexplainable volunteering. How about we look at the highlights.”

         Then the screen showed Jo getting picked, and then my little moment with Cam. It showed Dean and Chandler being picked, and then Axel volunteering as fire contestant.

         The next providence’s draftings shown were Providence Six, the swamp state. These contestant’s names are: Selena, Colby, June, and Jacoby.

         In Providence Seven, the ice lands, three people volunteered. The Airbender who volunteered, his name was Seth. The waterbender volunteer’s name was Riley, as sixteen year old. The earthbender Brandon was drafted not volunteered. Finally, an eighteen year old girl named Eclipse volunteered to firebend. The whole time, she had a sickening and evil grin across her face.

         Finally, the last providence was Providence Eight, the river state. An airbender named Bobby was drafted. Behind him was a young girl named Luna, who was only fourteen years old. She looked scared stiff. When the announcer was about to call up the name for the earth contestant, a cry was sounded from the crowd. A fourteen year old boy named Taylor volunteered himself before any names were even called. He looked a lot like Luna, who was gaping at Taylor. When he reached the stage, the two hugged. It was revealed then, that the two were twins. Everyone on the train gasped. If something was to happen to one of them, the other would be devastated. Although I was internally pained, I could see why Taylor would volunteer himself. He didn’t want his sister to go alone, without some backup. I would feel the same way if that was Cam up there. Once the siblings were done with their little moment, they drafted the final contestant for the games. She was an eighteen year old firebender named Elizabeth. Then the screen went on repeat for anyone who didn’t tune in. We turned off the TV.