CHAPTER NINE - DELILAH

DELILAH

The phone in my hand nearly bends at the force I use to grip onto it. My worst nightmare is coming true. Applewood Tree pub chains are longtime-clients of ours and use our company to advertise their business all around the north of the country. They were our last hope in making enough money to avoid bankruptcy. And, are now telling me they sourced another company and are leaving us behind.

I feel sick. "William, please leave it with me, and I'll come up with something to persuade you to stay with us."

"The decision is made, Delilah. We're moving on. I'm sorry," he replies, knowing how this will affect the business. William is a good friend and head of marketing at Applewood Tree. Our friendship blossomed the moment we met one another six years ago.

"I'm close to crying here," I admit, knowing I could be honest with him. "Please, Will, is there anything you can do?"

William sighs. "I've tried and tried to get my boss to change her mind, but she's adamant change is good. We've been doing all of the work, Delilah. Work your company should be doing."

I want to throw the stapler across the room. "I understand. Things have been tight here, and my priorities haven't been right. I'm sorry."

"It isn't your fault. It's this damn recession. Companies can't afford the advertising they used too," Wiliam says, and I feel his virtual hug.

I stare across the street to see the full waiting area at AdvertsGo and wonder where we went wrong. They have the funding behind them with sponsors and loyal clients. A sparkly new showroom and employees who know what they're doing. There is no wonder they are soaring above us.

But, that will all change when I manage to get EcoMax on board. They'll bring us enough revenue to update the decor of the place and pay long overdue bills. Hopefully, giving our contact to other high-end companies to put us on the business map again.

That's my plan, anyway.

"All I can do is apologise. Please know if things don't work out with the new company then we'll always take you back on our books. I'm in talks with a new printing company and web designer," I reply.

William laughs. "You'll be the first person I call, honey. Trust me. I wouldn't be leaving if it were up to me, but it isn't, and I can't say too much. Or, I upset people."

"It's a pleasure to have worked with you, Will. Good luck for the future."

William sounds like he might cry. "I hate doing this to you, Delilah."

The phone beeps with an incoming call, telling me to wrap the conversation up. I don't want to miss out on a potential client. "It isn't up to you. Please don't feel guilty. I must go, as I've got another call."

"Of course," he replies. "Speak soon. Don't be a stranger."

I laugh. "You too. Bye."

"Bye, honey."

I press the button to answer the new call and couldn't get a word in as a snooty voice sailed down the line. "Is this Branding and co?"

I swallow. "Yes, this is Branding and co-"

"Good." The female voice barks. "And, am I speaking with Delilah?"

Let me speak, lady!

"You are indeed speaking with Delilah. How may I help you today?"

"My name is Iris Porter, and I'm calling from EcoMax. Do you realise I was waiting on the phone nearly two minutes? What kind of answering service do you have there? Surely you employ more than one member of staff? What if that was a company wanting information on us? How would you deal with that if they were put on hold?"