CHAPTER THIRTY - DELILAH

DELILAH

I could get used to slouching about in Edward's beautiful home. And it turns out that kissing him is my new favourite hobby. I struggle to get my head around it, but everything has changed regarding him. Our dynamic has shifted from competitors to part-time lovers, and it's scary, yet fantastic at the same time.

I never knew he could be this affectionate, but he's proving me wrong in just about everything I thought of him. There's still the odd condescending comment that stirs my insides up, which then irritates him into an argument over something stupid that probably isn't even worth the raised blood pressure.

It's five o'clock in the evening, the seventh day of spending some time in his apartment and it's starting to feel more familiar than my home in here. I stretch out on Edward's plush couch, watching him meander about the place, looking for the trainers he seems to have misplaced.

I let out a little gasp when he surprises me with a long smooch when he passes by here, my head spinning as he mounts me on the couch with his big leg pushing beside my waist and the back cushions. I put my hands on his broad shoulders to steady myself when he lowers down enough for his weight to press me further into the cushions.

"Are you spending the night with me?" he whispers over my mouth, squeezing my sides with his needy hands.

"I wasn't planning on it." I smile, absorbing just how beautiful he is up close.

Edward rests his palms on the arm of couch and pushes up, so he hovers over me. I find my hands running across his spine to encourage him back down. "It looks like those plans have changed," he says.

I play with his hair as it falls on his face instead when he's just too heavy for me to maneuver. I lower my tone enough for it to sound sultry. "Oh, is that right?"

"Yes, it is," he replies, filtering off as he appears to be thinking of something. "What are you doing to me? I'm not this guy."

I frown. "What do you mean?"

He reaches behind to grab hold of my hands to remove them from his body when he slips away to stride over to the armchair where he parks his arse. I pull my body upright in retaliation to get a better view of him and spot the nerves in his expression. But, like always, he carefully removes those emotions, choosing to view me passively.

One moment you understand him and the next you feel completely confused. The complexity of him makes me desperate to know more, like a vicious cycle that will only end on bad terms.

He runs his fingers over his top lip. "I'll hurt you, Delilah."

"What a strange thing to say," I reply on a deep frown, wishing to sink further into the cushions.

"It's a warning." He shrugs, not in the slightest bit bothered by the harshness of his words.

Seriously, I don't know what's wrong with him. It's hard to know what you're getting yourself into because he keeps his emotions so locked tight. It's strange. Who warns someone that they're going to hurt them, and why am I not running for the hills?

I watch him fidget around in his seat. "Are you warning me because you want me to leave? Or are you covering yourself just in case you do something bad?"

"No." He drags his hands down his face, blowing out air past his lips. "I don't know why I'm warning you. I just am."

"Do you have a girlfriend?" It's scary how this question is only out in the open now. A smart girl would investigate this first. I'm clearly not that girl as I let him kiss me more than once.

Shock along with a shit-tonne of guilt eats away at me when he stays silent. It's true, he does. I climb to my feet. "Oh, God, you do!"

"I do not have a girlfriend. Calm the heck down," he says as if my raised voice annoys him, moving his fingers through his shaggy hairstyle until the strands shape his face.