CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE - EDWARD

EDWARD

My first thought is that I need a cold shower, the next is how I'm going to steer a drunk Delilah to my bedroom whilst feeling two sheets to the wind myself.

I haven't been this drunk since my Uni days,  drinking endless barrels of cheap beer at friends digs or rank vodka and Coke at the student bar because it was dirt cheap and made you forget how just out of your depth you were there.

We drank a lot tonight. I stopped counting after the fourth gin, vaguely remembering Poppy buying a bottle of champagne for us all to share at some point in the night. I was too busy with my hands to take count.

The only thing on my mind currently is the happy bubble stuck in my chest. I'm putting it down to the alcohol, but my head is arguing that it has something to do with the giggling woman who is currently talking to a door.

"Hello there, door, nice to meet you." Delilah's snorts are so loud, they drive her body forward. 

I laugh too, stumbling so hard it forces my hands to press against Betty's bedroom door. I put my finger over my lips. "Shusssh!"

We laugh again. Delilah opens my bedroom door, somehow managing in her inebriated state to run over to my four-poster bed - you know, the one carved by angels, or something - and throw herself face down on the mattress.

"Wooo," she says.

My chest burns with the hiccups when I go over there, still with my damn finger on my mouth. "Baby, shush."

Delilah rolls onto her stomach with a struggle to reach behind her back, fingers sourcing out the zipper of her dress. "Unzip me, would you? I can't breathe in this dress."

I should be helping her, but all I can do is watch. God, she's so wonderful. The moment I saw her tonight in that nightclub, dress hugging her body, skin glowing and legs going on for miles,  I knew I was heading down the river with no paddle.

"Edward," she says, putting her arms out in front of her on a defensive noise. "Help a girl out, would ya?"

My feet shuffle in the bed's direction, falling a bit when I kneel onto the mattress to tug down her zipper. "Are you trying to seduce me?" I ask, because there really is no need. I'm already there.

She sighs, resting her face on my pillow. "I don't think I'm wearing a bra."

My already semi-hard cock just about explodes. "Do you want me to find out?"

I'm imagining tracing her every curve with my tongue, gripping her flesh between my fingers—what the hell is that noise?

Delilah lets out the loudest snore known to man, forcing me back to sit on my heels. So she's asleep. And there's no way she's waking up now when I shake her shoulders a little to see if she does.

Oh.

Well, that kind of ruins the night I had planned for us. I had visions of us on that bed, putting it to good use. The frame was an absolute nightmare to get through the doors in my apartment, so I need to be getting my money's worth soon.

I wrap my hand around the oak beam to lean down and press a sloppy kiss on her cheek. It causes her to mumble something I can't understand, so I whisper sweet dreams and cover her with a blanket.

In need of water and paracetamol, I venture out of my bedroom, being extra careful to be light on my feet. I'm moving across the marble floors, pink panther style, stopping when I hear a door open.

Betty peeps past the door. "I heard you come in, but didn't want to disturb you. Are you all right?"

I know my smile is obnoxious, but I can't seem to find it in myself to care. "I'm good."