CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX - DELILAH

DELILAH

The Larsson's had a way of making you feel comfortable in a situation that should be entirely uncomfortable. I arrived extra early, beating them here by twenty minutes, checking my inflamed skin over several times in the mirror before leaving the house. The waiter showed me to the pre-booked table where he poured me a glass of wine and cut me a slice of olive bread to dip in the different dipping oils put out on the table.

Boon's is exactly how I imagined for it to be and more. The restaurant situates in the posh side of town where all the expensive boutiques and cocktail bars thrive. It's small but makes up for that in character. The seven tables all hold a crisp white tablecloth and a three stem candelabra in the middle, matching the light fittings hanging from the ceilings.

I'm mesmerised by the detail on the cutlery when I see Selma and Viktor walking my way. I stand and brush my fingers down the trustworthy cream lace dress that covers my red chest and arms with its intricate detailing. Like magic, my nerves seem to disappear as soon as Selma wraps me in her arms. "This place is unreal," I say, squeezing her extra hard.

"I'm glad you like it," she says back, pulling away just a little to take hold of my hands. "I hope you weren't waiting for too long?"

"Only a few minutes," I reply.

When Selma pulls away, Viktor takes her place giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. "It's a pleasure to see you again, Delilah. Edward has messaged to say he's not far away. Are you happy with the wine or can I get you another drink?"

I can't help but see the similarities in his appearance to Edward. Their eyes are the same shining denim blue and his hair, even though it's grey, holds the same weight and curls. "The wine is delicious, thank you. I appreciate the invite."

"Any friends of our children are friends of ours," he whispers, patting me on the shoulder to let me pass when Betty appears at the table, pointing to a spare seat.

"Excuse me," I say, giving him a polite smile and dash around to where Betty pours herself some wine. "The wine is the best I've ever tried."

She takes a long sip. "Oh, yes, I know what you mean."

I slide into the seat and then realise I left the half-eaten bread near where Viktor now sits. My stomach falls to the floor, and I don't dare make a noise and alert him to it. Maybe, if I casually stroll over and collect it, he won't realise while he speaks to his wife.

"Delilah, is this your bread?"

Oh, gosh. I blush as I nod my head wildly. "Yes, it is. Sorry."

Viktor gives me a warm smile that tells me my worrying isn't necessary, passing the plate across the table to me from where he sits. I lean over, completely forgetting about Betty's wine glass as my boob catches it and spills the contents over the lovely white tablecloth and my dress. Please, no. I take hold of any serviettes I can find and press it on the saturated material, but nothing seems to work. There's a buzzing in my ears, and I'm vaguely aware of Betty doing something to my dress, but I'm too mortified to find out.

Just my luck.

"It's okay, madam," A male voice is telling me, but I don't react. I'm now scrubbing the cloth."I said it is okay. I will sort it," he raises his voice, and I jump back, knowing that he's getting impatient with me.

My mortification worsens at being scolded like a child. I don't know where to look. I end up watching Betty as she tries her hardest to lessen the big red stain on my dress. "Sorry." I whisper to the people tending to me.

"Do they pay you to raise your voice at customers?" Edward's tongue snarls before he's blocking me from the restaurant's view. "You can see she's upset."